Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1050564
Date first listed: 26-Oct-1987
Statutory Address: CRINGLEFORD HALL, INTWOOD ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050564 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 11:19:28.
Statutory Address: CRINGLEFORD HALL, INTWOOD ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TG 19736 05135
TG 10 NE CRINGLEFORD INTWOOD ROAD
2/8 Cringleford Hall
House, adjacent to moated site, C16 with additions of C18 and C19; brick; C16 build brick rendered, possibly over timber frame. Black glazed pantiles. Irregular plan, C16 core of 3 bays with addition of lbay c1600 to east; attached 3 bay cross wing to west probably of late.C17 encased c1850, all of 2 storeys; tall single storeyed range of late C18 in angle to south. Facade to north: C16 range to centre, rendered and colourwashed; brick crow stepped gable to left with external stack shared by attached single bay; jettied first floor; centre bay with gable and attached 2 storeyed flat roofed canted bay of C18; ground floor with cross window having leaded lights and pintle hinges to bay 1, similar opening but without leaded lights to centre bay, C19 door to bay 3. First floor with 3-light casement to bay 1, fixed window to canted bay having glazing bars forming a semi-circular head and splaying to top angles, stair window to bay 3 of fixed light with glazing bars and semi-circular head. Interior: very steep roof, staggered purlins, no ridge piece; central doorway originally exterior but now within canted bay, late C16, heavy ¼ moulded frame with nicked jewel stops; C18 openwell stair, closed string with turned balusters, oak handrail, coved ceiling to stairwell. Lower 2 storeyed single bay to left, c1600, with integral lean-to to left (the remains of former wing) rendered and colourwashed; rectangular opening to lean-to with C17 ovolo moulded wood mullions, garage door to ground floor with 3-light casement above. Interior: chimney bay to right with large stack; ground floor with 30cm floor tiles, lead water pump dated F B (Frances Bates) 1794, 3 tie beams with lamb's tongue chamfer stops; first floor with 4-centred arch to brick fireplace in chamfered brick, L-shaped hinges, doorway between chimney bay and C16 core with heavy moulded frame. West range: west front and right return encased in gault brick c1850, hipped roof of black glazed pantiles, 3 bays 2 storeys; central doorway with semicircular portico having 2 Tuscan columns and square pilasters, flat canopy with C20 wrought iron balustrade; wide door with upper part glazed, glazing bars; recessed tripartite sashes to ground floor with gauged brick segmental arches; first floor with recessed sashes and glazing bars as to first floor of central canted bay of C16 range to north; right return with openings as to west facade. North return flush with C16 core, rendered and colourwashed, hipped roof; 2 storeyed flat roofed canted bay with C18 sashes with glazing bars and crown glass to ground floor, 2 blank openings and central sash with glazing bars to first floor. Interior: C19 panelled doors; cellars of late C17 brick, 3 tier butt purlin roof of old oak timbers having some principals in pine, narrow rafters in pine at angles of hips; roof probably refashioned and hipped c1850. Late C18 tall music room within angle of west range and C16 core, red brick with bowed facade to south slightly forward, black glazed pantiles conical to facade; brick dentil cornice; 3 tall semi-circular headed sashes with glazing bars to ground. Interior: coved ceiling, 2 semi-circular headed doorways to west range; central classical fireplace to east in marble having reeded entablature. 2 tall semi-circular headed recesses each side of central classical fireplace in marble with reeded entablature; tall narrow mirrors between windows with upper panels opaque with gilded lion's heads; C18 window pelmets with gilded oak leaf decoration. Rear of C16 range: in red brick with central flush tripartite sash with glazing bars to first floor; gabled attic dormer. Single bay to left rendered and colourwashed, 3-light casement having pintle hinge to ground floor, flush sash with glazing bars to first floor. Various C20 additions of no special interest. The house was known as Hellesdon House in the C16; from 1845-1959 it was the parsonage for Intwood and Keswick.
Listing NGR: TG1973605135
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 226893
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing