This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KIRBY CANE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KIRBY CANE HALL

List entry Number: 1050591

Location

KIRBY CANE HALL, WASH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirby Cane

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 226859

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRBY CANE WASH LANE TM 39 SE 7/82 Kirby Cane Hall (formerly 25.9.51 listed as The Hall)

GV II*

Country house. C17 with late C18/early C19 remodelling. Red brick with pantiled roof, hipped over rear range. Three storeys and two storeys with attics. The main facade to the south is a refronting by Lord Berners of c.1800: seven bays, three storeys, symmetrical. Sashes with glazing bars, gauged skewback arches over openings. Central doorway with panelled reveal, 2-leaf doorand rectangular fanlight with web-pattern glazing bars. Portico with Doric pilasters and two massive Tuscan columns, re-used. Moulded brick string course at first and second floor levels. Wooden modillion eaves cornice. East and west walls show steeper gable line of original house: 4-light mullion and transom windows with segmental pediments at second floor level, lower window openings blocked. Ground floor doorways in east wall with glazed panelled doors and 6-light fanlights, formerly entrance to conservatory (now demolished). To the west, a one-bay single storey wing with sash window and eaves parapet on moulded string course; corner pilasters with moulded finial on south-west corner. Hipped 2 1/2 storey rear range with sashes with glazing bars, some in segmental-headed openings; two 4-light brick mullion and transom windows on east side. Chimney stacks symmetrically placed on rear of south range. Interior: rear hall of two-storey height containing fine oak staircase dated 1642 with heavy turned newels and balusters on closed string with round billet moulding. Staircase hall has oak panelling to first floor level and ceiling with heavy roll-moulded beams. 5-light mullion and transom stair window with C19 stained glass panels. Good C18 fireplaces in two principal ground floor rooms; drawing room panelled 1936 with cedar from a tree felled in the park.

Listing NGR: TM3729294105

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 37292 94105

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 05:57:57.

End of official listing