This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1050598

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wheatacre

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 226881

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHEATACRE CHURCH ROAD TM 49 SE 9/104 Church of All Saints 5-9-60 - I

Parish church. Medieval fabric much rebuilt in C19. Tower C16. Knapped flint and red brick with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel, north chapel. Early C16 square west tower of red brick with large panels of flint forming a chequer pattern. Diagonal staged buttresses, a more massive south-east buttress incorporating a stair turret. Square-headed sound openings with hollow-chamfered stone mullions and transom. Blocked west doorway with chamfered elliptical brick arch of four orders and square drip mould; spandrels originally plastered. Three-light Perpendicular west window above doorway with hollow-chamfered brick mullions, reveals and elliptical arched head. Small square sound opening above with hollow-chamfered mullion. Flint embattled parapet above coved string course. Nave and chancel refaced and remodelled in C19: 2-light windows in Perpendicular style to each side of central porch; the western window square headed, the eastern with a four-centred arched head and stilted hood mould. Good south doorway, C14, with ogee headed hood mould with crocket finial and headstops depicting a king and queen. Staged buttresses at east wall of nave; exposed area of nave east gable in brick and flint. Chancel has three south windows of two lights with cusped and plain Y tracery, all C19. Staged buttresses divide bays. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. 3-light Reticulated east window to chapel with hood mould on head corbels. North wall has a doorway with four-centred head, transom and 2-light Perpendicular traceried fanlight above. 2-light Y-tracery window at north-west corner. North wall of nave has two 3-light Perpendicular windows and a north doorway with plain stone jambs and an elliptical arched head of moulded brickwork. Interior: tall narrow tower arch with five plain chamfers dying into wall. West gallery with coved soffit. C19 roofs. Traceried and canopied screen with elaborate carved cornice, C15 in origin but much restored 1904. Wide chancel arch with seperate sub-arches to chancel and chapel. Chapel has boarded waggon roof with cornice. Plain pointed niches flanking east window. Piscina in south-east corner, now much replastered. North and south chancel arcades of two bays: double chamfered arches on polygonal piers and responds now much plastered over and disguised on south side. In the north-east bay a chest tomb with corner buttresses and angels bearing shields. Narrow doorway to chapel. Angle piscina reset in jamb of south-east chancel. window. Brass memorial to Robert London (d.1627) in north-east corner of nave. Font with octagonal bowl, round stem on square base; four lions against the stem, alternating flowers and shields around bowl and angel-corbels below bowl, all set on octagonal step. Elaborate font cover of 1904.

Listing NGR: TM4606493941

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 46064 93941

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 04:42:05.

End of official listing