CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1050639
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050639 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 08:25:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Yelverton
National Grid Reference:
TG 29234 02186

Details

YELVERTON CHURCH ROAD TG 20 SE 1/64 Church of St. Mary 5.9.60

- I

Parish church. 12th century fragments with 14th and 15th century remodelling. 17th century west tower. Flint with red brick and limestone dressings; roofs slated. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Square west tower of flint with red brick dressings; datestone on south side reads "1674, THOMAS THETFORD, WORKEMAN". Other inscribed tablets on south wall now indecipherable. Diagonal buttresses to west with brick dressings and stone weatherings. Eliptical-arched bell openings in double chamfered brick reveals above moulded string course. Embattled parapet with roll-moulded coping. 19th century 2-light west window under hood mould with good head-stops. Brick relieving arch over window opening. Small stone panel with arched niche carving, much eroded, beside arch. South porch with diagonal gable-buttresses, much repaired in brick; single light east and west windows with cusped heads, and glass by Yarrington of Yarmouth. 14th century 2-light windows in south aisle, bays on south wall divided by massive brick buttresses. Adjacent to aisle window an early 18th century gauged red brick surround with a segmental pediment and moulded brick consoles containing two slate memorial slabs to W. Hood d.1717 and Elizabeth Hood d.1705. The easternmost bay of the south aisle contains a 2-light Decorated window with its cill raised to accommodate an early 16th century priests doorway with a fourcentred arched head and quadrant moulded square-headed architrave all in red brick. Stone-dressed diagonal buttress to south east corner of aisle. Nave clerestorey of three bays; 2-light windows with 'Y' tracery in rendered brick, probably 16th century coped parapeted gable to east wall of nave. 2-light dec. window in south wall of chancel. 15th century 3-light east window; parapeted east gable with cross-finial. North wall of chancel has one 12th century doublesplayed window and one 2-light with 'Y' tracery. Two 14th century north nave windows, one with 'Y' tracery, bays divided by large brick buttresses. Blocked north doorway with double chamfered arches. Simple nave roof with arch - braced principals and ridge, and quadrant moulded tie beams. Archbraced aisle roof with traceried spandrels. Boarded chancel ceiling with plaster coving. Screen of 1505 with twelve painted figures in base; upper section much rendered and re- stored. Roof stairs in north wall of nave. Arched opening to south-east chapel from chancel. 14th century piscina and dropped cill sedilia in south wall of chancel. Memorial brass to Margaret Aldriche 1525. Wall monument to Humphrey Rant 1661; cartouche with convex inscription tablet. Square font with arched panels on plain stem and corner shafts, probably 14th century.

Listing NGR: TG2923402186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226772
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01831/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].