CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1050859
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050859.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 08:16:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Rackheath
National Grid Reference:
TG 27022 14960

Details

TG 21 SE RACKHEATH

6/61 Church of All Saints. 10.5.61 - I

Former parish church, now redundant. Fabric generally of early C14. Knapped flint with brick and limestone dressings. Slate roofs; black-glazed pantiles on south porch. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Square unbuttressed west tower of knapped and squared flint with limestone quoins and string courses. Plain parapet with roll-moulded coping. 2-light bell openings; square sound openings with small quatrefoils, restored on south and west sides, C20. South clerestorey with three quatrefoil windows. Fine flushwork panelling remains at east and west ends of clerestory : three panels at each end. Two south aisle windows with cusped 'Y'-tracery; hood moulds with grotesque head-stops. Simple south porch, probably C15, with sun-dial in gable. South chancel wall has one blocked window opening and one 2-light window with 'Y'-tracery, much repaired. Small priest's door with three-centred arch. Doorway in nave north wall, very low and blocked with later brickwork. Remains of rood stair at junction of nave and chancel, in north wall of chancel. C19 curvilinear east window with brick surround. Upper quoins and gable parapet in red brick. Interior : C14 south arcade of three bays with double hollow-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds. Chancel arch has similar details. Narrow tower arch with four orders of plain chamfers, but no pilasters. Octagonal font, C17 with heavily moulded base capital and bowl. Bowl facets carved with heads. Ceilings plastered over; south aisle wall plate supported on stone corbels. Base of roof stair in north-east corner of nave. Banner-stave recess in north- west corner of nave. Good series of wall monuments, particularly those to Sir John Pettus (+ 1698) and dame Mary (+ 1798) on east wall of south aisle; to Thomas Pettus (+1723) on south wall of aisle. Wall monuments to Stracey family on north wall of nave.



Listing NGR: TG2702214960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228194
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03073/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Smee. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].