CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051006

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 14:46:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth (District Authority)

Parish: Bradwell

National Grid Reference: TG 50315 03855

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADWELL CHURCH WALK TG 50 SW (north side) 8/12 Church of St. Nicholas (formerly listed under 27.11.54 Church Lane) - II*

Parish church. C12 west tower. Nave, aisles and chancel are C14. Major restoration 1875. 1889 porch rebuilt. 1907 a further restoration. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Plain tiles to nave and chancel, slate to aisle roofs. 4 stage circular tower. Cusped western lancet. One western lancet to second stage. Brick lancets to ringing chamber and louvred lights to belfry. Plain parapet. Aisle west walls pierced by traceried roundels. Diagonal stepped west aisle buttresses, remainder are side buttresses. Gabled south porch. North doorway. 2 aisle windows north and south, of 2 lights and C14 although much restored. 3-light aisle east windows of similar character. 3 encircled quatrefoils comprise clerestory. In addition there is an eastern gable window to nave. 2. 2-light reticulated south chancel windows, the eastern one shortened. Priests' door. Diagonal eastern buttresses frame 4-light reticulated and sub-reticulated east window. C19 vestry against north chancel, the side buttress removed to allow its construction. Interior. 3 bay arcade of 4-lobed piers supporting double chamfered arches. Double chamfered tower arch and double hollow chamfered chancel arch. Clerestory windows sit behind square splays. Nave roof renewed : arched braces on wall posts drop to corbels. Octagonal C15 font. Lions crouch against stem and angels disport themselves under bowl. Bowl panels contain symbols of 4 Evangelists and 4 further angels. East end of both aisles have trefoiled piscinas. Chancel roof of 1875. Good C17 altar rails : thick irontwist balusters support rail upon which is carved a repeating frieze of griffins and cherubs riding sea dragons. Cusped sedilia and piscina. Plaster wall monument to William Vesey 1644. Within flat arched recess are free standing painted figures of William Vesey behind his 2 wives. Wives kneel at prayer. One son kneels at Vesey's right. Predella panel contains relief figures of 4 daughters and one reclining, presumably deceased, son. Plain plaster pilasters frame the whole composition.

Listing NGR: TG5031503855

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227747

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing