DENTON HALL AND ADJOINING BARN/STABLES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1051052
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
DENTON HALL AND ADJOINING BARN/STABLES

Map

Ordnance survey map of DENTON HALL AND ADJOINING BARN/STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 06:53:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
DENTON HALL AND ADJOINING BARN/STABLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Nether Denton
National Grid Reference:
NY 57839 63049

Details

NY 56 SE NETHER DENTON

2/78 1.4.57 Denton Hall and - adjoining barn/ stables

G.V. I

Farmhouse, formerly tower house and hall. C14 tower for Denton family, with extensions dated 1829 over entrance, as part of the Earl of Carlisle's estate. Tower has walls over 2 metres thick of large blocks of calciferous sandstone rubble; extensions of mixed calciferous and red sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins; graduated green slate roof with coped gables and kneelers, cream brick chimney stacks on ashlar bases. Extended front, 2 storeys, 3 bays. 6-panel door with radial fanlight has alternate block surround and round arch with dated keystone. Sash windows with glazing bars have plain raised stone surrounds. Original tower still stands 3 storeys high, walls partly reduced in height when gabled roof added; walls now partly internal but part of rear wall and side wall of the extended house are the tower walls. Rear has gabled C19 porch and C19 2-light mullioned windows. Left of porch is C19, but large footing stones suggest this is on the earlier foundations of the hall. Interior of tower is in an unaltered condition and has many features not visible from the outside and now covered by later buildings. Ground floor is not vaulted; splayed window in north wall has been enlarged. Newel staircase has ground floor entrance in south angle of east wall. First floor room has filled 2-light mullioned window in south wall with shouldered rear arch, splayed and with 2 step window seat; flanking narrow entrances have shouldered arches, that to left leads to stair and right is garderobe with small square filled window. Similar splayed window in west wall has also been filled; enlarged splayed window in north wall. Filled fireplace in east wall, retains its hearth stone. Corbel stones for original ceiling are still in place, with later ceiling on a similar level, supported on beams sunk into wall. Second floor is now in roof space; stair continues up for 4-5 steps and stops. Adjoining barn/stables of 2 storeys, 4 bays, have whitewashed walls, plank doors and similar mullioned windows to rear of house. Encircling dry moat and earthworks remain in part. See Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p276-7. Detached barn is listed separately.

Listing NGR: NY5783963049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78069
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 276-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/11002/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].