27-30, GENTLEMAN'S WALK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1051245
Date first listed:
26-May-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
27-30, GENTLEMAN'S WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of 27-30, GENTLEMAN'S WALK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051245.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 09:27:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
27-30, GENTLEMAN'S WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 22996 08452

Details

The following building shal be upgraded to II* CITY OF NORWICH TG 22 08 SE GENTLEMANS WALK 1188-0/22/349 NO.27-30 II* The description shall be amended to read:-

Shops, probably originally houses. Circa 1700 with C17 rear block. Rendered. Concrete and pantiles. Corner site. 3 storeys. 9 bays with central 3 projecting. Cl9 corner shop front and two C20 shopfronts. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars, except in 4 first floor windows. Raised and moulded surrounds with flat hoods at first floor, continuing into stringcourse. Canted oriel window at first floor extreme right. Iron-work balconies to windows. Rusticated quoins and panels between windows. Elaborate modillion eaves cornice. central,2- storey dormer gable, rusticated on lower level with 2 sashes and one top casement. Three small gabled dormers. Hipped roof. Interior: Only No. 27 inspected inside. Good circa 1700 open well through all floors with moulded string below shaped tread ends, twisted balusters, moulded hand- rail and square newels. Cyma-moulded axial beam in cellar at front. Possibly other surviving internal features concealed. Undercroft below rear wing of No. 27. C15 with a short section of later vaulting to the east. Brick. Two bays of quadripartite vaulting with chamfered ribs and a lighting niche in the north wall opposite a blocked side chamber. The distance of the undercroft from the street line and the junction between the present west wall of the undercroft and the vaulting (west bay truncated) suggests that it was originally four bays. The two western bays were probably demolished when the present circa 1700 street range was constructed. The undercroft is one of an important group of medieval undercrofts within the city walls.

------------------------------------

TG 2208 SE GENTLEMAN'S WALK (east side) 22/349 Nos 27 to 30 (consec) 26.5.54 (formerly listed under Market Place) GV II Shops. Early C18 with C17 rear block. Rendered. Concrete and pantiles. Corner site. 3 storeys. 9 bays with central 3 projecting. C19 corner shop front and two C20 shopfronts. Sash windows throughout with glazing bars, except in 4 first floor windows. Raised and moulded surrounds with flat hoods at first floor, continuing into stringcourse. Canted oriel window at first floor extreme right. Iron-work balconies to windows. Rusticated quoins and panels between windows. Elaborate modillion eaves cornice. Central 2-storey dormer gable, rusticated on lower level with 2 sashes and one top casement. Three small gabled dormers. Hipped roof.

Listing NGR: TG2299608452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
229103
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04129/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Dave Oxbury. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].