EARLHAM HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051296

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1954

Statutory Address: EARLHAM HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of EARLHAM HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 11:46:39.

Location

Statutory Address: EARLHAM HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TG 19153 08001

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 10 NE EARLHAM 3/279 26.2.54 Earlham Hall and attached outbuildings. - II* Large house. Late C16 core with C17, C18 and early C20 additions. C20 alterations by Edward Boardman. Brick and flint rubble with red brick dressings and rendered plinth on north (entrance) front; red brick for C18 and C19 additions, plain tiled roof; 2 sets of clustered red brick ridge chimneys (restored) on main range with other scattered stacks . Cross-wing plan of 2-storeys and attic. Brick and stone quoins of original single-span range to south are visible on the west front under added twin gables with iron numerals 16/42. Converted to 2-span roof by addition of parallel range with cross-wings to north, remodelled in C18, including addition of a canted wing to west, and restored in Cl9. Cl9 single-storey pavillions added at corners. Entrance front (north) 3 steps up to double panelled door with rusticated pilasters under a pediment. 3-4 window range of sashes with glazing bars in flush-fronted moulded architraves under flat gauges brick arches. Modillion cornice. Cross-wings each have 2 ground and first floor windows and canted front bays with 4 windows. Garden front (south) is a 5-window range of sashes with glazing bars and some leaded lights, flanked by large 2-storey canted bays added in C18. Brickwork of 2 shaped gables indicates that these, too, are later additions. Former coach house converted to stable attached to north-east corner of Earlham Hall is of C19 red brick with pantiled roof and has flint rubble walls (C.17) to rear with C17 timbers inside. Tumbled brick gable to right wing and tall blocked round headed arch in left part with end pilasters and occuli in the east wall. Donkey engine house for well, pentagonal structure, brick piers, slate roof and original equipment of C1880. Interior of the house: Entrance hall has re-set panelling, including some C17; remodelled moulded plaster ceiling with fragment of original above stairs; C17 staircase with flat balusters, probably originally one of a pair flanking the main entrance. First-floor room in west cross-wing has bolection moulded fireplace and C18 panelling with fluted pilasters in the canted bay. Another similar fireplace in ground floor passage. C17 timbers on first floor, including chamfered and stopped doorcase on corridor. Plank doors in attic. Former library in single-storey south-east wing fitted by E. Boardman, 1908.

Listing NGR: TG1915308001

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 229031

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing