The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, The Close, Norwich


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051330.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 12:45:49.


Statutory Address:
The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity, The Close, Norwich

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Norwich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 23476 08911


TG 2308 NW TG 2308 NE 16/170 17/170

THE CLOSE The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity



Cathedral and Cloisters. C11 onwards. Begun in 1096 by Herbert de Losinga after the see was transferred from Thetford. Lincolnshire Limestone, Barnack Stone (Cambridgeshire) and Caen Stone, brick. Lead covered roofs. Nave with aisles. Choir. North transept with chapel. South transept with vestry. Presbytery with aisles and ambulatory. South, north-east and south-east chapels. East chapel. Cloisters to south. 14 bays to nave and choir. Three bays transepts. Four bays presbytery plus ambulatory. West front re-modelled c1830 by Salvin. Norman aisle portals. West door arch with diagonally-set niches and shallow vaulting. Large nine-light perpendicular window above door. C14 south aisle windows with cusped intersecting tracery. Norman tripartite clerestory windows with taller central window and blind arcading. Transepts with corner turrets. Shafted windows and blind arcading in seven orders. Doorway in north transept with two orders of shafts. Relief sculpture above doorway of a Bishop with crozier. The south transept was restored and rebuilt by Salvin c1830. Presbytery has square-headed four-light windows to the aisles and large four-light C14 clerestory windows with flying buttresses between. Crossing tower with four orders of arcading and shafted clasping buttresses with turrets and C15 spirelets. C15 crocketed spire with lucarnes.

Cloisters C11 and 1297-1430. William and John Ramsey, masons of South Range. Barnack stone, lead roofs. Eleven bays by eleven bays, two storey. Each bay three-light open tracery openings, single foiled lancet above. Corners occluded by projecting buttresses. Lierne vaults to all sides. Enriched door surrounds to first and eighth bay of nave. Fine triple entrance to Chapter House, E. range, Lavatorium W. range. Upper part west wall has several circular windows circa 1050-1070. Vaulted undercrofts behind south range (song-school).

Listing NGR: TG2347608911


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 26 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09219/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Edward A. Dillimore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].