Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 13:59:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Broadland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 40239 06670


BEIGHTON TG 40 NW 4/12 Church of St. Mary, Moulton. 25-9-62 I Former parish church, now vested in the Redundant Churches Fund. C12 tower, nave and chancel C14 with some later additions. Red brick, flint with limestone dressings. Nave pantiled with crested ridge, chancel and south porch slated, tower plain-tiled. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. Round west tower, probably C12, with a plain loop opening on the south side. To the north a larger bell opening with a wooden framed louvre. Blocked 2-light Decorated window to west. Conical plain-tiled roof. C16 red brick south porch with stone sun dial set in south-west corner. Double hollow-chamfered arch with square label and shields set in spandrels. Arched niche over doorway. Blocked 3-light east and west porch windows with plain brick labels. South wall of nave has two 2-light windows with 'Y' tracery of c.1300 with a central 3-light Perpendicular window with head-stops to its hood mould. Staged buttresses divide bays. Chancel has two 2-light south windows with 'Y' tracery replaced in wood, probably early C19. Priest's door with intersecting tracery between windows. East gable of nave slate-hung. Chancel east wall rebuilt in brick; cast iron tie plates dated 1877 and 1879. East window replaced in wood : 3-light with intersecting tracery. Flint and stone buttress at north-east corner. Wide single lancets in north wall of chancel and eastern bay of nave. 2 and 3-light north windows in nave. North doorway with plain and hollow chamfers and scrolled label stops. South door retains medieval ironwork. Nave roof scissor-braced with boarded ceiling; chancel ceiling plastered. Remains of rood stair re-constructed at south east corner of nave. Timber beam with barred chamfer stops in place of chancel arch. Chancel benches with poppy-heads, probably early C17. C17 communion rail with turned balusters and posts. Corbel-head set in window jamb, north wall of chancel. South wall of chancel has a fine double piscina of c.1300 with a sexfoil perforation in the spandrel of the double-arched opening. Dropped cill sedilia. Good wall monument to Edmund Anguish (+1616), his wife and son. Nave has fine wall paintings, probably C14: on the north wall St. Christopher and on the south wall the Seven Acts of Mercy. Finely carved octagonal pulpit, early C17, with backboard and tester. C13 octagonal font with two shallow blind arches on each face, plain central stem and eight plain shafts.

Listing NGR: TG4023906670


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05534/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].