Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1051500

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051500 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:36:48.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Strumpshaw

National Grid Reference: TG 34916 07722


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TG 30 NW STRUMPSHAW NORWICH ROAD (south side) 7/70 25/9/62 Church of St. Peter.


Parish church, mainly of C14 and C15 with some C19 rebuilding. Flint with limestone dressings; knapped and galleted flintwork on tower. Slate roofs, continuous over nave and chancel. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch; C15 west tower (bequests 1485-1487) with diagonal western buttresses with flushwork panels. 3-light Perpendicular west window. 2-light bell openings. Small cusped openings on south and west sides. Parapet of stepped battlements with crocketted pinnacles. Polygonal stair turret on south side. Upper section of tower arch and drip mould for earlier steeper roof line visible on east face of tower. South door with moulded brick arch and drip plastered over, doorway blocked in brick. Nave windows 2 and 3 light Perpendicular, restored. Chancel has plain lancets and a 2-light 'Y' tracery window at south east corner. Evidence of a blocked lancet in centre of south wall. C13 Priest's doorway with restored arch. 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. North porch of flint with brick dressings, much restored C19; arch and niche above in brick with double hollow chamfer. Tall narrow tower arch now cut by later roof, said to date from 1817. Chancel roof also replaced: king struts on collars, shallow pitch. Plastered ceiling over nave. Banner stave locker adjoining north door. Rood loft stair at north east corner. Good square headed screen, probably early C15 with panel tracery above crocketted arches : four bays on each side of central arched opening. Much original colour remains, the lower panels painted alternately red and green and patterned with floral motifs. Evidence remains that the screen originally had westward projections to flank nave altars, as at Ranworth (q.v.) In the chancel south wall a stepped dropped cill sedilia and a good double piscina with trefoiled heads and a small dragon carved in one of its stiff-leaf stops. Shallow pointed arch low down in south wall of nave. Some notable wall monuments : Catharine Nelson +1789; Matthew Barnes +1782 and Anne Barnes +1786; Edward Smith +1812; Mary Redhead +1811; William Springall +1752, also some good floor slabs. Octagonal font, C15, bowl carved with alternating roses and shields, corbel heads supporting bowl with four seated lions against the stem. Crocketted octagonal conical cover.

Listing NGR: TG3491607722


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228518

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing