CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1051522
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051522 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 16:19:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Lingwood and Burlingham
National Grid Reference:
TG 36538 10110

Details

TG 31 SE BURLINGHAM NORTH BURLINGHAM

5/20 Church of St. Andrew. 25.9.62.

- I

Parish church. C14 and C15. Flint with limestone dressings. Slate roofs; lead roof over aisle. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle. C15 west tower with staged diagonal buttresses. Plinth with flushwork panels and some heraldic panels on north side. Flintwork on lower stage of tower knapped and galletted with some limestone blocks. Square traceried sound holes with canopied niche above that to the west. Large 2-light traceried bell openings. Parapet embattled with flushwork and heraldic symbols in panels. Corner pedestals for figures. South porch opening has re-set hood mould, possibly Norman. Nave and chancel windows 3-light with Perpendicular tracery. Low side window and priest's door in south wall of chancel. 3-light reticulated east window. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows on north side of nave. Decorated north door, now blocked. Much re-used material in north wall. Square stone chimney surmounting buttress. Good C15 nave roof with angels on hammer beams. Arch braced principal rafters and ridge; wall posts on corbel heads; bosses at intersections. C15 north arcade of four bays : four centred arches on octagonal piers. North aisle roof with roll moulded and arch braced principals. C18 plastered ceiling to chancel with cornice. Rood screen base dated 1536 with painted figures of saints in traceried panels; upper section of screen restored and incorporating an angel which fell from the nave roof early C20. Tower screen salvaged from Burlingham St. Peter (q.v.) : one light divisions with crocketted ogee arches and panel tracery, all C15. Flanking the doorway are two figures of angels bearing the keys of St. Peter. Four-centred archway into north chapel from chancel; squint arch to chancel, north side. On the chancel north wall, a monument to Gregory Mileham + 1615, a slate tablet flanked by putti under a broken pediment. Wall monuments on nave north wall to Ann Horth + 1797 and Martha Leman + 1803. Tower contains monuments to the Burroughes family, notably James Birkin Burroughes + November 30th 1803. Octagonal font, C14, with shields around bowl and stem of four clustered shafts.

Listing NGR: TG3653810110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228468
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06311/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Smee. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].