CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051548

Date first listed: 10-May-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051548 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 00:29:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Morton on the Hill

National Grid Reference: TG1261815870

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 11 NW MORTON ON THE HILL

2/36 Church of St. Margaret. 10.5.61.

G.V. II*

Parish church, now largely in ruins except for chancel and eastern bay of nave. C11 tower, remainder late C13 with some C19 rebuilding. Flint with limestone dressings; some quoins and base courses in iron-bound conglomerate. Steeply-pitched pantiled roof continuous over nave and chancel. Freestanding walls capped with pantiles and plain tiles. Round west tower with base courses in iron-bound conglomerate, upper walling of flint, partly collapsed 30.3.59. Small double-splayed opening in east side; small semi-circular headed opening with large internal splay on north side. Splayed semi-circular headed tower arch. South porch of knapped flint with ashlar quoins; doorway with attached shafts. Blocked window openings in east and west walls with four-centred cusped heads. Good south door with traceried panels. 2-light nave south windows, two with 'Y' tracery, one Perpendicular with cusped four-centred heads under a square drip mould. Single lancet in sanctuary. Slate memorial tablet to William Bowess (+ 1729) set in south wall. Staged angle buttresses at east wall. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Chapel to north east much restored and rebuilt in C19, but retaining a C14 ogee-headed cusped lancet in the west wall. Two bay north arcade with octagonal piers and responds; arches with double plain-chamfer and keeled fillet. In the north west corner, a fine monument to Thomas Southwell (+ 1609); a tomb chest with three shields and strapwork decoration in panels surmounted by a four-centred arch on pilasters and coat of arms. Octagonal font with shields around bowl and cusped blank arcade around stem. Remains of screen base re-used on north and south sides of sanctuary, three bays on each side. C17 altar rail with turned posts and balusters. Plastered ceiling over nave; roof structures not visible. C19 arch-braced roof over chapel.

Listing NGR: TG1261815870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228427

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing