Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051607.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2020 at 03:36:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dover (District Authority)
Shepherdswell with Coldred
National Grid Reference:
TR 28160 47499


TR 24 NE SHEPHERDSWELL & COLDRED WALDERSHARE PARK 2/113 The Belvedere 22.8.62 I Belvedere. 1725-7 by Lord Burlington for Sir Henry Furnese. Plum coloured brick with Portland stone dressings. Externally rectangular in plan (a double cube on its smaller area) internally arranged on circular plan. Three storeys on stone plinth with rusticated quoins to ground floor only, with double projecting plat band, and sill-course over. Main entrance on north front, with large rust- icated semi-circular doorway. At first floor level a large Venetian window with Gibbs surround and triple keystones to all three openings, the main window originally balustraded. Single lugged square mezzanine window. The south front is a copy without the basement doorway. Identical east and west fronts with, in the basement, central semi-circular windows (or doors?) with Gibbs surround with side windows with large keystones and moulded surrounds. First floor with flanking windows with pulvinated frieze and cornice, and central semi-circular Ionic windows, with damaged balustrading below. Three square lugged mezzanine windows, one on east fgace with moulded stone surround missing. Pulvinated cornice and balustrade on top. Interior: ground floor with circular saucer domed ceiling, intact apart from a small, roughly 2 feet square hole. Fireplace on southern wall. Within the angles of the square enclosing this circular space were 3 chambers, and a spiral stair, still largely surviving in the south-east corner. The upper storeys, originally circular, and intended as a music room, are now ruinous. The whole, costing £1703 7s 4d to build, is one of Burlington's few surviving attested buildings. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 488).

Listing NGR: TR2794548248


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 488
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 24 Kent,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].