Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051632.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2021 at 03:07:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Thanet (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 38838 65734


TR 3865 NE RAMSGATE HONEYSUCKLE ROAD (South East side) 1413/5/226 Synagogue and adjacent 13.08.68 Outbuilding


Synagogue. 1831-3 by David Mocatta for Sir Moses Montefiore (1784- 1885) with some internal alterations of c.1912 and 1930s. Stuccoed. Rectangular plan with canted corners, leading to apse with Ark of the Covenant (east) and full height porch (west). Two storey elevation with plinth and giant pilasters supporting pulvinated frieze and cornice to parapet. No windows to main block (toplit), the porch west side with 1 glazing bar sash to each floor, the top with a pediment with acroteria. The porch itself with plinth, pilaster strips, moulded plat band and pierced fretwork balustrade. Clock face with motto: Time flies. Virtue alone remains. Entrance to left side, with large panelled door and flight of semi-circular steps in pilaster in antis surround, with scrolled lamp bracket and handrail, semi-circular headed windows to canted corners of main block, that to left with worn stone relief of Coat of Arms of Sir Moses, originally on the adjoining College of c.1869, also erected by Sir Moses Montefiore in memory of his wife Judith, and re-located when this building was demolished. Small outhouse to south. Stuccoed, in same style as synagogue, with plinth, pilasters, cornice and parapet, with blocked door and window on north elevation. The rear wall rises directly out of the retaining wall to the whole side, of flint and stock brick. INTERIOR: Vestibule of synagogue has a marble niche with shell, pilasters and fountain base for ritual washing and above is a brass memorial tablet to Captain Robert Sebag Montefiore who died at Gallipoli. A stone half-winder staircase leads to the ladies gallery, the vestry, which retains several original doors and access for maintenance of the clock. Synagogue retains original panelled ceiling with octagonal stained glass rooflight, original stained glass window depicting the ten Commandments above the Ark (Ehul) and the mahogany tapering Ark doors are original. The circular windows to the east are an early C20 alteration and the semi-circular windows are also a later insertion. The chandeliers and candelabra are original. The cast iron screen to the ladies gallery is the original but the wood has been replaced, originally pine. Only one side of Lady Judith Montefiore's seat remains. The Reading Desk (Tebah) and the benches have been replaced. The woodwork to the sides has been replaced but incorporating the original metalwork. The walls were encased in white marble with pink marble pilasters in the early C20. HISTORY: The synagogue was founded and financed (1900) by Sir Moses Montefiore, the great Jewish philanthropist, who is buried in the adjacent mausoleum. The architect, David Mocatta, a pupil of Sir John Soane, was his wife's cousin and this is the first synagogue in the country to be built by a Jewish architect. It is the only known example in the country of a synagogue built on a private estate. The main house, East Court is no longer extant. This was only the second synagogue (after Bevis M arks in the City) to be built for Sephardic Jews who are less numerous than the Ashkenazi. (See Busson, Ramsgate, 107-9; see also Gill Wyatt, Sir Moses Montefiore and Ramsgate, K.C.C.).

Listing NGR: TR3883865734


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Busson, C , Book of Ramsgate107-109
Wyatt, G, Sir Moses Montefiore and Ramsgate


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16011/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].