LAZAR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051828

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1954

Statutory Address: LAZAR HOUSE, 219, SPROWSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAZAR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 10:15:04.

Location

Statutory Address: LAZAR HOUSE, 219, SPROWSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TG 23565 10413

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/06/2012

TG 21 SW 2/835

SPROWSTON ROAD (East side) No. 219 (Lazar House)

26.2.54

II*

Former Leper Hospital (Magdalen Chapel) C12. Later an almshouse until C17. Restored 1906 by Sir Eustace Gurney and subsequently a Branch Library. Now a day centre for people with learning disabilities. Flint rubble with stone and some brick dressings; pantiled roof. Now L-plan. 2 storeys (mostly open to roof); 6-window range at right-angles to street. Norman doorway in gable end has attached shafts with cushion capitals and roll- moulded voussoirs. Round-headed window (renewed) above with 2 small blind slits and 2 oculi with brick dressings at the head of the gable. Right-side elevation has a damaged Norman door and another blocked door with 4-centred brick arch. Red brick reconstruction with 2 and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, together with a single-storey wing at right angles and its projecting porch presumably date from the early C20 restoration. Interior: medieval window splays and dressings include 2 round headed arches with earstone dressings in the west gable. Most roof-timbers replaced. Founded before 1119 by Herbert de Losigna, the nave was used as the hospital and the chancel served as a chapel for the inmates.

Listing NGR: TG2356510413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 229611

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing