THE BUTTERCROSS APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF NUMBER 11 (SOUTH LODGE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052165
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
THE BUTTERCROSS APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF NUMBER 11 (SOUTH LODGE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BUTTERCROSS APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF NUMBER 11 (SOUTH LODGE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 07:21:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BUTTERCROSS APPROXIMATELY 120 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF NUMBER 11 (SOUTH LODGE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pitchford
National Grid Reference:
SJ5294603882

Details

SJ 50 SW SJ 5295 0386 6/145

PITCHFORD C.P. PITCHFORD The Buttercross approx. 120 metres to south-west of No. 11 (South Lodge) II

Probable cross base with boulder. Possibly C15 or C16. Grey sandstone. Irregular boulder on 3 circular stone steps. This is possibly a former cross base from Pitchford churchyard (qv). It might have been moved to its present location and the boulder added to form a park ornament, perhaps at the time of George Devey's work at Pitchford Hall (qv) in the 1870's and 1880's. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.116.

Listing NGR: SJ5294603882

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
361554
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 116
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15398/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Weatherill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].