Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1052167
Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address: LANGLEY CHAPEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052167 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 13:33:14.
Statutory Address: LANGLEY CHAPEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Ruckley and Langley
National Grid Reference: SJ 53839 00091
SJ 50 SW
RUCKLEY AND LANGLEY CP LANGLEY Langley Chapel
I Shown on O.S. map as Chapel.
Chapel. Circa 1564 on an earlier site, reroofed in 1601 and restored in 1900 by the S.P.A.B. Dressed grey sandstone with sandstone slate roof. Nave and chancel in one. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses to east with chamfered offsets, coped parapeted gable end to east, and weatherboarded west bellcote with paired louvred openings and pyramidal cap. Central chamfered round-arched window to south and flanking Tudor-arched doorways (that to right with renewed lintel) with nail-studded boarded doors; chamfered pointed-arched west window; 2-light double-chamfered stone mullioned square-headed window to north; east window with 3 pointed-arched lights and chamfered reveals, and square recessed probable datestone above with chamfered bottom edge (illegible at time of survey - April 1985).
Interior: 4-bay nave roof dated 1601 consisting of moulded arch bracing with moulded and carved pendants, ashlar pieces, pairs of through-purlins, and one tier of windbraces; trussed-rafter chancel roof with fillet-moulded braces and ashlar pieces; nave roof inscribed: "1601", "GH", "HN" (or "NH") and "IBAB"; restored moulded rood beam; framework supporting west bellcote; plaster frieze over ashlar pieces to south with fleur-de-lys, rose and rosette motifs. Early C17 fittings:benches with chamfered drop-shaped poppyheads; musicians' pew at back; 4 box pews at front with H-shaped hinges, fluted friezes, and turned knobs; square reader's pew: panelled with fluted frieze, H-shaped hinges, back boards to 2 sides and square tester with carved scrolled corner brackets; moveable wooden pulpit: hexagonal with pierced fluted frieze and strap hinges; Laudian rails on 3 sides with moulded bases, shaped supports, and benches; communion table. Reused medieval floor tiles at east end.
A chapel at Langley is first mentioned in 1249 and the present building might stand on its site. Langley was a dependent chapelry of Acton Burnell.
County AM No.5, VCH. Vol. VIII, p.145 DHS Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.6, pp. 495-7. In guardianships of HB plc.
Listing NGR: SJ5383900091
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 361561
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 495-7
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 145
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing