CHURCH OF SAINT GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1052175
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT GILES, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 10:21:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT GILES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Wigginton
National Grid Reference:
SP 39077 33282

Details

WIGGINTON MAIN STREET SP3833 (North side) 11/115 Church of Saint Giles 08/12/55 - I Parish Church. C13: nave, north aisle, south aisle. C14 chancel. Late C14/C15: west tower, porch, clerestory. 1870 restoration of chancel and south aisle by William White. 1886 restoration of nave and north aisle by J.L. Pearson. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Plain tile/lead roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower, north west porch. Chancel has 2-light Curvilinear windows some with hood moulds and head stops. 2 western most side windows have dropped sills. Blocked 2-centred arched doorway to north side. North and south aisles: Mainly triplets of lancets; pointed arched door to south side, 2-light Perpendicular windows to clerestory. West tower of 3 stages: 2-light Perpendicular windows to 1st stage and bell tower. String courses to 1st and 2nd stages. Pointed arched doorway with chamfered jambs to south. Sundial on south wall. 2 diagonal buttresses. Porch in unusual position in angle between tower and north aisle. Clerestory and tower both crenellated. Chancel and porch have stone copings and ridge tiles. Interior: Chancel has piscina with ball flower decoration, stone seat with elaborate crocketed ogee canopy to south west; tomb recesses to north and south walls. Nave: 3-bay nave arcades have double chamfered arches. Round piers to north, octagonal to south. Perpendicular nave and north aisle roofs have ornamental bosses. Corbels to nave roof have carved head decoration. Steps to rood loft to left of pulpit. Piscina to south wall of south aisle. Monuments: 2 early C14 stone effigies in chancel. Recumbent knight on north side, a recumbent man with two small female figures to south. Stained glass: 2 chancel north windows have fragmentary C14 foliage designs in tracery lights. South window has C14 figures of a dragon and lion's face. East window by A.L. Moore 1909. Fittings: 2 Perpendicular bench ends in north aisle; C19 font with curious moulding. (V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, pp.168-9; Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.841-2).

Listing NGR: SP3907233283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
361477
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 841-2
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 168-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10520/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].