This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WAREHOUSE ADJOINING NORTH OF BLISWORTH MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAREHOUSE ADJOINING NORTH OF BLISWORTH MILL

List entry Number: 1052191

Location

WAREHOUSE ADJOINING NORTH OF BLISWORTH MILL, GAYTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blisworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 7254 BLISWORTH GAYTON ROAD

10/10003 Warehouse adjoining north of Blisworth Mill

GV II

Canal warehouse. Circa early C19 for the Grand Junction (later Union) Canal Company. Red brick in English garden wall bond. Low-pitched Welsh slate half-hipped roof with lead roll hips and ridge; the roof on east front carried down over deep eaves forming canopy over canal, the canopy supported on cantilevered timber ties. PLAN: Rectangular plan with loading door onto canal. EXTERIOR: Single storey. The east front facing canal is blind except for wide loading doorway to right of centre with C20 door and small C20 window to right. Stone wing at rear with gable end onto Gayton Road. INTERIOR: Tie beam roof with king-posts and struts. NOTE: The Grand Junction Canal was authorised in 1793 to shorten the route between London and the Midlands. The engineers were James Barnes and William Jessop. Because of difficulties building Blisworth tunnel (the longest still open) a toll road was built in 1797 over Blisworth Hill which was replaced in 1800 by a double-track horse tramroad constructed by Benjamin Outram. This warehouse on Blisworth wharf may have been built in association with the tunnel and tramroad. SOURCE: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the East Midlands.

Listing NGR: SP7237653423

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SP 72376 53423

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 07:55:04.

End of official listing