FRY'S HOUSE OF MERCY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052244

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: FRY'S HOUSE OF MERCY, COLSTON PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRY'S HOUSE OF MERCY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 09:53:38.

Location

Statutory Address: FRY'S HOUSE OF MERCY, COLSTON PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 59115 72219

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

901-1/42/1672 COLSTON PARADE 04-MAR-1977 REDCLIFFE (South side) FRY'S HOUSE OF MERCY

II

Almshouse, 1784 with C20 internal alterations, endowed by William Fry.

MATERIALS: Coarse roughcast walls, limestone parapet, brick chimneys behind the ridge of the pantile roof.

PLAN: Two storied, double-depth plan, with a long range to rear.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical three-bay elevation in the Gothick style. The central two-leaf door has strap hinges (a modern replacement), and scrolled ends and sits within a four-centred moulded arch on uncarved imposts and moulded jambs. The lancet windows to both floors have Y-tracery with two leaded casements with interlacing heads. The elevation is surmounted with a crenellated parapet with cornice beneath. An oval panel above the doorway reads FRY'S/ HOUSE OF MERCY/ 1784.

INTERIOR: Not inspected but rebuilt behind the fa├žade in after 1945.

HISTORY: The almshouse was founded in 1778 and completed in 1784. It was endowed by William Fry, a local distiller, and built to house twelve widows; the almshouse was connected to the parish of St. Mary Redcliffe, which no doubt explains its choice of Gothick. Following bomb damage during WWII the almshouses were partly rebuilt behind the fa├žade.

SOURCES: Folyle, Andrew. Bristol Pevsner Architectural Guide (2004), 181.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Fry's House of Mercy, an almshouse of 1784, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: in particular for its gothick design * Historic interest: one of a number of surviving C18 philanthropic buildings within the city and one that continues to be used for its original purpose * Group value: with St Mary Redcliffe church (Grade I listed) opposite and the C18 and C19 houses adjacent to it on Colston Parade (all listed Grade II)

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379343

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing