CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052460

Date first listed: 18-May-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 16:21:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Worton

National Grid Reference: SP 42640 30108

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORTON NETHER WORTON SP43SW 3/234 Church of St. James 27/08/56 GV II*

Church. C14; tower dated 1630; restored 1883. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings, some limestone; sheet-aluminium roof. 3-bay aisled nave, south-west tower, and chancel recess. North and south sides each have 3 square-headed 3-light windows with ogee lights; the re-set east window is similar but with a 4-centred head. The small 3-stage tower, built above the west end of the south aisle, contains the C13 doorway with dogtooth decoration to the arch and an oak door of 6 fielded panels; the bell chamber has 2-light stone-mullioned openings and the datestone is inscribed "ROBERTE/PARSONS/1630". The shallow-pitched roofs all have parapets; the nave rises above the aisles, without clerestory, and projects slightly to east. Interior: C14 arcades and chancel arch have octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals and arches of 2 chamfered orders; bases on south side have corner spurs and may be C12. Trefoiled blind arches on east walls of aisles may be C13. C19 roofs with cast-iron brackets. Chancel recess is lined with grained panelling incorporating Decalogue etc. Late C17 barleytwist communion rails. Ritual chancel is defined by a C17 balustrade, with heavy turned balusters, linking with the pulpit which has C17 panels. Monuments include several C17 ledgers, and early C19 memorials to the Wilson family including a large draped urn by Henry Westmacott. C19 line drawing with stencilled border on north wall by Grace Wilson. The chancel was demolished at an unknown date. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.292; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.713-14).

Listing NGR: SP4264030108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252050

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 713-14
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 292

End of official listing