Church of St Martin

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1052510

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Statutory Address: Church of St Martin, Ledwell Road, Sandford St Martin, OX7 7AH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Martin
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:20:36.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Martin, Ledwell Road, Sandford St Martin, OX7 7AH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sandford St. Martin

National Grid Reference: SP 42028 26691

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2018

SP4226 14/159

SANDFORD ST MARTIN LEDWELL ROAD (East side) Church of St. Martin

(Formerly listed under WORTON ROAD)

27/08/56 II* GV Church. C13, late C14 and C15, restored 1856 by G.E. Street. Limestone and marlstone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield slate and sheet-metal roofs.

Aisled three-bay nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. The stone-slated chancel was rebuilt by Street incorporating the early Perpendicular three-light east window; it also has two lancets to north and south and a blocked round-headed priest's door. The wide parapetted south aisle in banded rubble has an early Perpendicular three-light east window with reticulation, full-height mullions, and transoms; there is a similar two-light window with trefoil-headed lights and a two-light window with reticulated tracery which are both earlier.

The stone-slated porch has an outer arch of three continuous chamfered orders. The narrow parapetted north aisle is probably C13 but has three square-headed late C14 windows of two ogee lights, and has a renewed lancet to east. The clerestory has fine C15 square-headed windows in deep casement mouldings with richly-cusped tracery. The C15 crenellated three-stage tower, with diagonal buttresses and a deep moulded plinth, incorporates a large early-Decorated three-light window, with cusped intersecting tracery, above the west doorway which has a label over a casement moulding and has traceried spandrels; the top stage has two-light traceried openings and there are gargoyles on the parapet string.

Interior: the chancel arch is of two chamfered orders in banded ashlar, and the arms of Elizabeth I are painted above its east face. The C13 south arcade has circular piers and moulded capitals; the north arcade has crude octagonal piers. The clerestory windows have four-centred rere arches. The south aisle has a small C14 piscina with a large foliage finial. The interior of the south porch has a ribbed quadripartite vault and conceals the richly-moulded C14 south doorway. The roofs of the nave and aisle are in C15 style with arched braces rising from wallposts, but are probably wholely C19. In the tower arch is a vigourous C19 screen with canopied and crocketted arches and much carved decoration. A large C15/C16 parish chest stands below the tower. The C12 font with crude chevron carving has been partly recut to fit an octagonal stem. In the chancel are wall monuments to Thomas Gylen (died 1637), with detached Ionic columns and an entablature carrying cherubs and an hourglass, and to William Croker (died 1709), with large Doric columns, a heavy segmental pediment and an achievement of arms. In the nave are wall monuments to John Lock (died 1714), with a Baroque surround of scrolls and foliage, and to Vice Admiral James Sayer (died 1776) in marble with elegant Classical detailing. There are also five hatchments. The stained glass includes two C14 fragments in the south aisle, a mid C19 east window, and a fine lancet of 1973 by John Piper. A dedication of 1273 is recorded.

Listing NGR: SP4202826691

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251972

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 750-1
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 180

End of official listing