This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BELL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BELL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052529

Location

THE BELL HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Tew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251921

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE TEW THE GREEN SP3828 (North side) 11/111 The Bell House 27/08/56

GV II

Inn and cottage, now house. Possibly early C17, re-modelled late C17 and extended early C18. Limestone rubble and coursed squared marlstone rubble with some marlstone-ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof with rubble stacks. 2-unit gable-fronted plan, linked to a single-unit cottage. 2 storeys plus attic. Double-gabled 4-window front has, to right, the gable end of the earlier inn range with a renewed cross window above a C20 arched doorway; to left, the 2-window cottage range with renewed leaded casements. Gabled linking section has a variety of altered casements and a gable parapet with a ball finial matching that to right. Right return wall has renewed cross windows at ground and first floors. Interior: inn range has a massive central stack, an inglenook fireplace with cambered bressumer, and a late C17/early C18 doorcase with pilasters and segmental arch. Until c.1880 the Bell Inn. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.249; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.691).

Listing NGR: SP3837728662

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 691
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 249

National Grid Reference: SP 38377 28662

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052529 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 06:29:50.

End of official listing