PRIORY COTTAGE THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1052724

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: PRIORY COTTAGE, 127, THE CAUSEWAY

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, 123, THE CAUSEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIORY COTTAGE
THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:11:43.

Location

Statutory Address: PRIORY COTTAGE, 127, THE CAUSEWAY

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, 123, THE CAUSEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Steventon

National Grid Reference: SU 46558 91503

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEVENTON THE CAUSEWAY SU4691 (South side) 12/78 Nos.123 (The Priory) and 127 06/08/52 (Priory Cottage) (Formerly listed as No.123 (The Priory))

GV II* Includes those parts formerly separately listed as Nos.125, 127 The Causeway and No.1 (Priory Cottage) Mill Street. Priory, now 3 dwellings. South-west block of c,l330; north-west block of c.1463; hall of c.1500; service wing to hall of c.1550; late C16 range to east; with later alterations. Irregular and large timber-framing, with some close-studding; painted brick and rendered infill; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks: massive stone end stack to right with brick flues. Courtyard plan, with wing to east. 2-storey, 7-window range with 2-storeys-and-attic cross-wing to left. Plank door to right of centre with flat hood. 4-panel door to left of centre with flat hood, 4-panel part-glazed door to end of cross-wing to left. Irregular fenestration of casements and sashes except wood oriel window to ground floor right, having wood mullion and transom windows and flanking 3-light wood mullion windows. Wood oriel to first floor right, having wood mullion and transom windows. Cross-gable to centre. Jettied cross-gable to right with pendant bosses. Rear: part-encased in brick. Interior: false-hammer-beam roof truss to hall with 2 tiers of curved wind braces, Massive stone fireplace to hall. Crown-post roofs to west range and to west part of north range, Queen-post roof to rest.. Some medieval wood arched doorways visible. History: priory from 1330, and on the site of earlier priory buildings and partly used as the manor. ("Smaller Domestic Architecture and Society in North Berkshire, c.l300-c.1650, with special reference to Steventon" by C.R.J. Currie (Oxford Univ. Ph.D,thesis, 1976)

Listing NGR: SU4655891503

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251392

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Currie, C R J , Smaller Domestic Architecture and Society in North Berkshire c1300-c1650 with special reference to Steventon, (1976)

End of official listing