CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1052931

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 17:33:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Steeple Barton

National Grid Reference: SP 44824 24896

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEEPLE BARTON CHURCH LANE SP42SW (East side) 3/270 Church of St. Mary 27/08/57

GV II* Church. Early C14 and C15, with C15 west tower; restored 1850 by Buckler. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; stone-coped gabled artificial stone slate roof. Chancel and aisled nave with west tower. Two-bay chancel has mid C19 reticulated 3-light Perpendicular-style windows to south, and vestry with similar window and octagonal stone stack to north. 3-bay nave has pointed arched doorway and similar windows to north, and similar windows and 2-light Decorated-style west window to south aisle. Mid C19 gabled south porch: hood mould with head stops over early C14 pointed moulded south doorway with jamb shafts. 2-stage crenellated west tower: 3-light Perpendicular west window above arched and square-headed doorway with quatrefoil spandrels; offset corner buttresses, and upper stage of ironstone; offset corner buttresses, and upper stage of ironstone with hood moulds over stone-louvred 2-light windows with arched lights and sunk spandrels. Interior: chancel has Minton tile floor, and mid C19 arch-braced roof supported on corbels of carved angels. Mid C19 chancel arch. Early C14 five-bay south arcade has hood moulds with head stops over double-chamfered arches supported on octagonal piers with carved heads, one with linking arms, to 3 capitals. Mid C19 arch-braced nave roof, with 3 early C14 head corbels to NE. South aisle has similar roof with 2 early C14 head corbels, an early C14 Decorated piscina, and a fluted C12 tub font with moulded base. C15 tower arch. C17 and C18 ledger stones. Mid C19 fittings, and stained glass in chancel. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p788; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp73-4; National Monuments Record)

Listing NGR: SP4482424896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252924

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 788
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 73-4

End of official listing