STAPLE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053077
Date first listed:
14-May-1952
Statutory Address:
STAPLE HALL, 32, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAPLE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:53:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
STAPLE HALL, 32, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Witney
National Grid Reference:
SP3592510333

Details

WITNEY BRIDGE STREET SP3510SE (East side) 9/1 No.2 (Staple Hall) 14/05/52 GV II Inn. now nursing home. Early-/mid C17. Coursed limestone rubble; stucco front. Gabled stone slate roof; left end stack of stone finished in brick and brick ridge stacks. 2-unit plan. 2 storeys and attic; double-gabled 4-window range. Late C19 six-panelled (4 glazed) door: late C18 stone porch has open pediment on Tuscan columns. Late C18 six-pane sashes, and late C19 three-light casements to attic. Rear: early C18 sash window with thick glazing bars; C19 central wing; late C17 two-storey wing of similar materials to left. Interior: stop-chamfered beams; open fireplace with bressumer. Early C19 dog-leg with landing staircase to rear. Collar-truss roof with butt purlins. Said to have been built in 1668 for William Townsend and his wife Ursula Marriott a favourite meeting house of the Company of Blanket Weavers before the Blanket Hall was built in 1721. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.850: National Monuments Record K. Steane, "The Public Houses of Witney", Record of Witney, No.5 (1978), pp.17-18).

Listing NGR: SP3592510333

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252570
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 850
Steane, K , The Public Houses of Witney, (1978), 17-18

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15684/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].