OLD RECTORY COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053295

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Statutory Address: OLD RECTORY COTTAGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD RECTORY COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 09:55:15.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD RECTORY COTTAGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kingham

National Grid Reference: SP2585323801

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGHAM CHURCH STREET SP2423-2523 (West side) 17/131 Old Rectory Cottage 27.8.57 GV II

Rectory, now house. Early C17 with later additions and alterations. Roughly coursed and banded limestone and marl stone rubble; stone slate roof with coped verges and ball finial to south-east gable end of main range. Basic L-plan comprising main range aligned north-west to south-east with short gabled range projecting at right angles to north-east. 2 storeys and attic. South-west side: in 3 sections with straight joint immediately to right of gabled full dormer with 2-light chamfered mullion window to left; another to right on line with second ridge stack from left. 3-light cavetto-moulded mullion window on each floor below gabled full dormer. Similar windows to centre and right, except that windows to centre are chamfered. All windows with dripstones and mostly with leaded lights, some probably original. Integral end stack to left and ridge stacks on line with straight joints have rendered bases with dripstones and red brick shafts. Right gable end has 4-light leaded casement on ground floor one of 3 lights to first floor and 2-light cavetto-moulded mullion window with dripstone to attic. C19 lean-to attached to left gable end. North-east side. Main range has 2 widely spaced 3-light chamfered mullion windows with dripstones on each floor. Small rectangular window on ground floor to left of straight joint and narrow rectangular window to right. Gabled eaves dormer with leaded latticed casement above left windows. Several of mullion windows have original leaded glazing. Late C19 or C20 two-storey gabled porch in angle with projecting range, which has 2-light cavetto-moulded capping. Interior. Main range has chamfered ceiling beams to ground- and first-floor rooms. Massive chimney breast and inglenook fireplace with chamfered wood lintel to centre stack and spice cupboard to north-west wall. Wide floor boards to first floor and double-butt purlin roof in 6 bays (including divisions formed by stacks) with tie beam trusses. Projecting range has stone spiral steps down to barrel-vaulted stone cellar lit by 2-light mullion window to front. Ceased to be the rectory c.1688 when a new rectory was built (q.v. under Kingham House). (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p674) [2577]

Listing NGR: SP2585323801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 254026

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 674

End of official listing