MORRIS MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053371
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
MORRIS MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORRIS MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 10:32:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
MORRIS MEMORIAL APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Kelmscott
National Grid Reference:
SU 24939 99349

Details

KELMSCOTT Morris memorial approx. 20m SE SU2499-2599 10/67 of chancel of Church of St. George (Formerly listed as Tomb of William Morris) GV II

Churchyard memorial. 1896 by Philip Webb. Limestone. Curved ridge-shaped stone supported by stone blocks to each end. Inscriptions on south side to William Morris (1834-96) and Jane Morris (1839-1914) and on north side to their daughters, Jane Alice Morris (1861-1935) and May Morris (1862-1938). It has been suggested that the design of the tomb is based on the ridge-back type of Viking funerary monument, but Webb may have derived his inspiration from a C17 gable-ended tomb also in Kelmscott churchyard (q.v. under Ford memorial, C18 chest tomb and two C17 monuments approximately 2 to 5 metres south of south transept of Church of St. George). (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p666; A.R. Dufty: Kelmscott, An Illustrated Guide (London, The Society of Antiquaries, 1984), pp30, 34) [2362]

Listing NGR: SU2493999349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253819
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dufty, A R , Kelmscott An Illustrated Guide, (1984), 30 34
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 666

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10695/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].