Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053373

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Mar-1989

Statutory Address: PLOUGH COTTAGE

Statutory Address: THE PLOUGH INN


Ordnance survey map of PLOUGH COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2019 at 01:42:28.


Statutory Address: PLOUGH COTTAGE

Statutory Address: THE PLOUGH INN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kelmscott

National Grid Reference: SU 24910 99082


KELMSCOTT SU2499-2599 The Plough Inn and Plough 10/71 Cottage 12.9.55 (Formerly listed as The Plough Inn and Three Cottages adjoining the Plough Inn) II GV

House, or possibly pair of houses, now public house and cottage. Dated 1690, extended mid- to late C18 and C19. Uncoursed limestone rubble with alternating angle quoins, painted to C18 part (The Plough Inn); stone slate roofs, hipped to 1690 part. Main range of 1690, possibly always divided, latterly cottages, with C18 gabled range at right-angles on north; C19 parallel gabled range in angle to left. 2 storeys. Main range has original fenestration pattern of 3, probably originally 4, windows, (right bay concealed by C19 addition) with slightly cambered stone heads and C19 casements, those to centre more closely spaced than otuer bays. Boarded door with slightly cambered head to left of second window from left and similar infilled doorway partly cut by C19 addition to right of right window. Infilled doorway immediately to right of left window is probably not original. Central axial ridge stack with red brick top and superscribed datestone "T/IM/1690" to moulded base and stepped integral lateral stack to left return with red brick shaft; similar extruded end stack to right, also with moulded base. Infilled oval-shaped window with dripstone directly below eaves to left return. Rear has mixture of C19 and C20 casements with oval-shaped window like that in left return directly below eaves to left. C19 addition (former shop) has two C20 casements with cambered heads (possibly reused from front wall of 1690 part) on first floor and former shop-front with door to left and infilled doorway to right. The Plough Inn has C20 casement on each floor to either side of central 4-panel door under gabled trellised porch, those to first floor directly below eaves and those to ground floor with cambered painted brick heads and keystones. Narrow external red brick end stack to left and integral end stack to right with moulded base and red brick shaft. Interior. Ground floor of The Plough Inn has 2 chamfered cross beams and stone-flag floor. Right ground-floor room of 1690 part (now also part of public house) has chamfered spine bean. C20 addition to rear of main range is not of special architectural interest. [2366]

Listing NGR: SU2491099082


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253823

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing