RADCOT BRIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053406
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
RADCOT BRIDGE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RADCOT BRIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 11:22:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
RADCOT BRIDGE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Grafton and Radcot
National Grid Reference:
SU2842599722

Details

GRAFTON AND RADCOT SU2899-2999 11/50 Radcot Bridge House - II

Shown on O.S. map as Radcot Bridge Farm. Farmhouse, now house. Mid-C17 extended 1726 (datestone) and C19. Uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate roofs. L-plan comprising main range of 2-cell central baffle-entry plan with short rear range to right; main range extended by one room to left in 1726 and rear range extended in C19. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. 3 windows on each floor, those to first floor directly below eaves, lower left with wood lintel, centre and right with C17 dripstones; all early C19 three-light leaded casements, except for plain mid-C19 casement to lower left. Nail-studded plank door under C20 gabled porch between centre and right windows with faint suggestion of infilled doorway immediately to right. Chamfered narrow rectangular opening to attic to right gable end and 2 infilled windows on first floor. C20 brown brick ridge stacks with earlier dripstones immediately to right of entrance and at junction with 1726 addition (formerly an end stack). C18 addition has integral end stack with dripstone and capping, heightened in brown brick. C17 part of rear range has moulded rectangular window to ground floor with wood casement and iron bars to outside. Full-length catslide outshut to rear range in angle to rear. Interior. Left ground-floor room with date "1726" inscribed in jamb of doorway to back wall has chamfered spine beam with flat joists and stone inglenook fireplace with slightly cambered head. Nail-studded plank door with cambered head. Nail-studded plank door with strap hinges to above-mentioned doorway. Centre room has stone-flag floor, chamfered spine beam and inglenook fireplace with wood lintel. Splayed window to back wall now opening into outshut. Right room has reused richly moulded ceiling beam with chamfer stops and sawn-off ends of cross and ring beams, probably removed before being brought to its present location. Inglenook fireplace with chamfered jambs and chamfered wood lintel has panelled door to right with H-hinges formerly leading to winder staircase. Chamfered cross beams on first floor, now mainly boxed. C19 addition to rear range is said to have been former coach house. There are extensive earthworks, known as The Garrison, in the field to the south. [2345]

Listing NGR: SU2842599722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253801
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10068/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Osman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].