This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FRIARS COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRIARS COURT

List entry Number: 1053423

Location

FRIARS COURT, A 4095

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clanfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253747

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLANFIELD A4095 SP20SE (East side) 2/1 Friars Court 12.9.55 GV II

Farmhouse. Mid-C17, possibly incorporating parts of a medieval building, extended early C19 with later additions and alterations. Uncoursed limestone rubble, roughcast to front of main range; stone slate roofs with coped verges on carved stone kneelers to main range. 3- or 4-unit through-passage plan with twin-gabled range at right-angles to rear on right forming L-plan. 2 storeys and attic on moulded plinth. Chamfered mullion windows with dripstones to first floor, all of 3 lights, one to left and one above and to either side of entrance to right of centre. Similar arrangement to ground floor except windows are of 4 lights; infilled 3-light mullion window formerly lighting staircase to left of centre. Three evenly-spaced C19 gabled eaves dormers with coped verges on carved kneelers. Integral ashlar end stack with chamfered dripstones and capping to right arid similar ridge stack directly above infilled window to left of centre. C19 gabled porch has outer Tudor arch with rectangular windows to sides and inner half-glazed panelled door, also in Tudor arch. Left gable end is roughly stepped in 3 stages, top of second roughly at dripstone level of windows to front, which is possibly eaves line of an earlier building. Possible former eaves line also visible at this level to back wall. Ramped buttress to rear left corner may be medieval. C17 mullion windows in back wall. Rear range has 3 storeys. Early C19 two-storey range attached to right of main range has C20 casement on each floor to left and right of gabled porch similar to that of main range over flush 4-panel door, those to first floor directly below eaves. Infilled window directly below eaves and small integral end stack to right; lean-to projection to base probably housing bread oven. C19 rubble stone lean-tos to rear and to right of twin-gabled range. Interior. Only partial inspection possible at time of resurvey (May 1987). Early to mid-C19 staircase with stick balusters and wreathed handrail to left of main entrance but winder staircase formerly lit by infilled window is said to have been removed; another winder staircase is said to remain in rear range. The house is said to stand on the site of a preceptory of Knights Hospitallers (q.v. under Nos.3-5, Friar's Court Cottages). This had been refounded at Clanfield before 1279 but was united with Quenington (Glos.) c.1433. A well-preserved moat surviving on 2 sides of the house and fragments of medieval window tracery (not included in this list) in the garden add weight to this belief. C20 lean-to conservatory in angle between main and rear ranges is not of special architectural interest. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p547; D. Knowles and R.N. Hadcock: Medieval Religious Houses (1971): p302; John Blair: St. Leonard's Chapel, Clanfield, Oxoniensia L (1985): pp209-14) [2295]

Listing NGR: SP2853200883

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Knowles, D , Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales, (1971), 302
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 547
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, (1985), 209-14

National Grid Reference: SP2853200883

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 04:29:56.

End of official listing