This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FRIARS COURT COTTAGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRIARS COURT COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1053425

Location

FRIARS COURT COTTAGES, 3-5, A 4095

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clanfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253751

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLANFIELD A4095 SP2801-2901 (East side) 8/5 Nos.3 - 5 (inclusive), Friars Court Cottages II

Row of 3 cottages, incorporating remains of C13 building, probably a hospital chapel. Roughly coursed limestone rubble, rendered except for south wall; machine tile roof. Long rectangular building aligned south-west to north-east with C20 parallel gabled range and C20 gabled range at right-angles to north. Externally there are no architectural features earlier than c.1942 when the cottages were remodelled; the south wall is mainly post-medieval and the blocked features and straight joints in its upper parts are probably no earlier than C17 and may be later. A measured survey in February 1985 revealed the original north wall of the central and eastern cottages to be 0.68m thick and to survive to a height of c.4.9 metres. The cross wall between the central and western cottages is 0.93 metres thick. Although the south wall is mainly post-medieval, it contains a short section of different construction and much thicker (0.70 metres) that the rest, terminating in a splayed door-jamb. These fragments represent the north, south and west walls of a rectangular building measuring c.10.6 metres by 3.7 metres internally and c.4.9 metres in height with a doorway on its south side. This may be the chapel known to have been rebuilt for Nicholas de Totnes between 1237 and 1244 or possibly another building associated with it. A chapel on the site is first recorded in early C13 and would seem to have originated as a hospital chapel served by the nearby preceptory of Knights Hospitallers (q.v. under Friars' Court). Later it appears to have been reduced to chapel-of-east status, being rebuilt as such between 1237 and 1244. Properly controlled further investigation of the building might reveal architectural features at present (July 1987) covered by plaster. C20 additions to north are not of special architectural interest. (John Blair: Saint Leonard's Chapel, Clanfield, Oxoniensia: L(1985); pp209-14; D. Knowles and R.N. Hadcock: Medieval Religious Houses (1971): p302) [2294]

Listing NGR: SP2837301185

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Knowles, D , Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales, (1971), 302
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 50, (1985), 209-14

National Grid Reference: SP 28373 01185

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:29:02.

End of official listing