MINSTER LOVELL MANOR RUINS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1053431
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Aug-1989
Statutory Address:
MINSTER LOVELL MANOR RUINS, MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINSTER LOVELL MANOR RUINS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053431 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 06:40:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
MINSTER LOVELL MANOR RUINS, MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Minster Lovell
National Grid Reference:
SP 32442 11344

Details

MINSTER LOVELL MANOR ROAD SP3211 (South side) 19/108 Minster Lovell Manor Ruins 12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Ruins of Manor House) GV I

Manor House ruins. Circa 1431-42 for William, Seventh Lord Lovell, incorporating some earlier structures. Coursed squared stone and stone ashlar. The manor house was built on a court yard plan, having a hall, solar and chapel range with a kitchen and bake house cross-wing to the east; and north-west, and west accommodation ranges. Most of the floor plan survives above ground level. Hall, solar and chapel range: the entrance porch has a two-compartment quadripartite vault with floriated roof bosses, the hall was lit by 2-light cusped windows to the south, of which part of the traceried survives. On the north side of the hall were apartments on the ground floor, with the chapel above. The window openings of the ground floor rooms survive, the spandrels of the rere-arches have quatrefoils. The kitchen and bake house wing survives as foundations visible above ground level. The north-west range: the gable-end of this range survives with a 2-light stone mullion and transom window, each light having a cinquefoiled ogee head with quatrefoils in the angles of the cusping. West range: at the south end of the west range is the remains of a 4-storey tower, having an octagonal corner staircase turret. History: manor probably granted to William Lupellus, the first Lovell, in c.1130. Manor built by William, seventh Lord Lovell c.1431-42. Francis, ninth Lord Lovell, was one of Richard III's chief courtiers, being Chamberlain of the Household and Chief Butler of England. It is reputed that he did not die at the battle of Stoke (1487) but fled to Minster Lovell where a skeleton was discovered in 1708 on opening an underground vault. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp707-710; "Minster Lovell Hall", A.J. Taylor, HBMCE, 1985)

Listing NGR: SP3244111342

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253667
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 707-710
Taylor, A J, Minster Lovell Hall, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09961/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].