HAM COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1053536
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
HAM COURT, MILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAM COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053536 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 13:05:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAM COURT, MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bampton
National Grid Reference:
SP 30969 03058

Details

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON MILL STREET (North side) 13/104 Ham Court 12/09/55

GV II* Gatehouse and part of curtain wall of early C14 castle built for Ayrner de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, who obtained licence to crenellate 1315. Adapted to dwelling C17, with mid-late C19 extension. Coursed limestone rubble, part ashlar, with stone slate roofs and ashlar chimneys. Gatehouse lies on east-west axis with contemporary lodging bay adjacent to north and C19-C20 extension in north-west angle. Running south from gatehouse is short length of curtain wall which masks larger C19 extension on east side. Forms house of 2 storeys and attic. Gatehouse has large archways with moulded labels, infilled with rubble and ashlar late C17. Infill is pierced by stone mullion windows, those to first floor late C17, of 3 lights, with ovolo mouldings. Similar 4-light window with Tudor hoodmould to ground floor on east side; C19 matching 3-light window with hollow chamfers on west side. West side of gatehouse projects, and has chamfered plinth, C14 flanking set-back buttresses, and C17 gable with 3-light leaded casement. Immediately above arch on west side is a horizontal slit with sloping ducts, possibly for drawbridge cables. East side has octagonal stair turret projecting to left, with battlemented parapet, trefoil-headed slit windows, and octagonal pyramid roof with weathervane. To right is C14 bay with contemporary 2-light traceried window to first floor. This window has arched head with label, cusped ogee tracery, and hollow mouldings. Below are a C19 3-light stone mullion window and a C19 half-glazed door. 2 gabled roof dormer; with 2-light casements. Curtain wall has chamfered plinth, wide battlements with slated coping, and 2 bays of cross slits. Upper right part of wall reconstructed C19. Behind is C19 extension, of 2 storeys, with first floor band course, coped gables and stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds. South side has large canted bay window to left; north side has porch with door in Caernarvon arch. C19 and C20 lean-to extensions at north end of house are small and have tiled roofs. Interior: gatehouse arches are moulded, the east arch of 2 orders, the west with one moulded order and rebates for gates. Side walls of east bay of gatehouse have small arched doorways with similar mouldings. Gatehouse also retains fine 2-bay vault with chamfered ribs and carved bosses, and stone spiral staircase to attic. First floor of C14 lodging bay has original fireplace with moulded stone jambs and stone hood on moulded brackets. Heavy stop-chamfered ceiling beams. C17 fireplace inserted to first floor of gatehouse, with chamfered stone arch. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p433; Country Life: July 19th 1946, pp120-121)

Listing NGR: SP3096903058

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253414
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 433
'Country Life' in 19 July, (1946), 120-121

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15876/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].