THE DEANERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1053558
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
04-May-1989
Statutory Address:
THE DEANERY, CHURCH CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DEANERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053558 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 05:07:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DEANERY, CHURCH CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bampton
National Grid Reference:
SP 31176 03312

Details

SP3003-3103 BAMPTON CHURCH CLOSE (South-west side) 13/55 The Deanery 12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Bampton Deanery)

GV II* Former prebendal house, parts originally built for use as chapels; now house. Basement of west wing dates back to late Cll/early C12, east wing to early/mid C12; later medieval, C16 and C17 alterations; C19 extensions to west. Coursed rubble limestone with some ashlar dressings; stone slate roofs with stone copings to main gable ends; square ashlar chimney shafts. Complex plan with wings to west, east and north. 2 storeys and basement, part with attic. East wing has C13 buttresses to gable end, and C13 chamfered stone surrounds to small blocked basement lights. Internally these lights have deep C12 splays with dressed quoins. Rubble stone arches of other medieval windows, possibly C12, survive high in north wall. Wing otherwise remodelled late C16/C17 with stone mullion and transom windows of 4-6 lights, all with Tudor hoodmoulds. Internally windows are hollow chamfered. North side has gabled chimney with 2 shafts, gabled dormer to right, and 2-storey C20 porch with parapet in angle with north wing. South side has large gable containing upper window, and small 3-light window over recessed C20 door to left. West wing has C16/C17 gabled bay at east end, and C19 extension in matching style to west. C16/C17 part has stone mullion windows with Tudor hoodmoulds, the basement windows of 2-light with chamfered mullions, the upper windows ovolo-moulded and transomed. Gabled dormer in east return. Large stack with 5 shafts to centre of wing. North wing is probably C16/C17 in origin but altered late C19/early C20, with C19 diagonal buttresses to gable, restored stone mullion and transom windows, and hipped C20 roof dormers. C19/C20 extensions in north-west angle, part roughcast, with windows and door in Tudor style. Interior: east wall of basement in west wing retains dressed stone jambs of 2 blocked windows with semi-circular heads, all of C11/C12 date. To right are traces of jamb of third similar window. Basement of east wing retains splayed jambs of 3 narrow C12 windows, jambs of a C12 cupboard, and 3 other narrow windows of later nedieval date. Both these basements may have served as chapels or chapel undercroft when first built. Jambs of a tall C13 lancet window survive high up in west wall of east wing. Other interior features date from C16/C17 remodelling and later alterations. Main rooms have moulded and stopped stone fireplaces with 4-cenred arches, some with moulded cornices. Room over basement in west wing also has heavy close-set ceiling joists on a massive richly moulded cross beam. Centre of house is occupied by fine late C17 staircase arranged around a large open well. Stairs have heavy twisted balusters, moulded handrail, altered string, and large knob finials to newel posts. Cupboards below middle flight have doors with re-used C17 moulded panels and butterfly hinges. East doorway to stair hall has ovolo-moulded stone surround; west doorway has similar wooden surround with moulded stops, and door with C17 moulded panels and strap hinges. (John Blair: Bampton Deanery, unpublished report, 1986; Country Life, July 26th 1946)

Listing NGR: SP3117603312

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253365
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Blair, J, Bampton Deanery, (1986)
'Country Life' in 26 July, (1946)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17078/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].