GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS IN CHURCHYARD 5 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053584
Date first listed:
04-May-1989
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS IN CHURCHYARD 5 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS IN CHURCHYARD 5 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053584 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 11:32:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 4 CHEST TOMBS IN CHURCHYARD 5 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Alvescot
National Grid Reference:
SP 27378 04583

Details

SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT MILL LANE 9/14 (East side) Group of 4 chest tombs in churchyard 5m SSE of south porch of Church of St. Peter

GV II Group of 4 chest tombs, all of limestone: 1) to Sarah Herbert, d.178? with slab panels flanked by triple fluted pilasters, and coved cornice lid with remains of gadrooned top; 2) to Thomas and Mary Clarrig, 1667, and William Barber (?) 1737, with slab sides, coved cornice lid and much worn top; 3) to William Herbert, 1791(?), with moulded base and cornice lid, moulded top, and panels in recessed borders; 4) late C17-early C18 chest tomb with illegible inscriptions, moulded panels and moulded cornice lid with flat top.

Listing NGR: SP2737804583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253324
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17075/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].