CHURCH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053612

Date first listed: 26-May-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH FARMHOUSE, NEWPORT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 11:21:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH FARMHOUSE, NEWPORT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tong

National Grid Reference: SJ 79632 07426

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD (North side)

6/22 Church Farmhouse 26/5/55

GV II

Inn, now house. Early C17 with partial early C19 re-facing and mid to late C19 additions. Timber framed with sandstone plinth and painted brick nogging, painted brick facing to right, painted brick to right at rear, and old tile roof, hipped to right. L-plan with 3 framed bays to front. 2 storeys with gable lit attics. Framing: close studding with tension braces and straight corner braces, jettied first floor to left with moulded bressumer and 3 brackets with carved heads; central ridge stack, stack to left at rear, 2 end stacks to right, and end stack to wing at rear. C19 wooden mullioned and transomed casements, 4 on first floor, and 3 on ground floor to left; projecting ground floor square bay to right with dentil brick eaves cornice, catslide roof, and glazing bar sash to front with flush frame; 7 steps up to door between first and second windows from right with 6 raised and fielded panels, 3- light overlight,and doorcase with reeded pilasters supporting entablature with dentil cornice. Queen post truss exposed in left-hand gable end. Interior: ground floor room off-centre to right with chamfered beam and joists; first floor room to left with panelling dated 1625 above fireplace, and moulded beam; queen post roof trusses, somewhat altered. Formerly The Bell Inn, Charles Dickens reputedly wrote'The Old Curiosity Shop'while staying here.

Listing NGR: SJ7963207426

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255318

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing