This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1053665

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, BADGER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Badger

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 79 NE BADGER C.P. BADGER

7/53 Church of St.Giles

- G.V. II

Parish Church. 1833 and 1886 on site of medieval church, probably founded in C12. Red sandstone ashlar walls, slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower 1833; north chapel, vestry and south porch added by F. Francis in 1886. Tower, with set-back buttresses, possibly retains some medieval masonry in its base, west doorway blocked and has a Tudor arched window inserted; belfry lit by 3 broad lancets with hoodmoulds, embattled top with pinnacles, weathercock, clock on south face. Broad lancets under hoodmoulds (lights cusped on west wall) to wide buttressed nave which projects to north and south of tower, east window on south wall (to chancel) blocked. Wide east wall has window of 3 lights with simple cusping and a datestone of 1833 above; north chapel has crosses to gables and a 3 light east window with trefoiled heads and cusping above west window'with geometrical tracery and Capel Cure coat of arms above, moulded eaves cornice on north side; vestry, adjoining to west, has a sloping roof and a double chamfered doorway under a hoodmould in its west wall, cusped lancet to south; south porch of timber on sandstone walls, pointed arch to entrance with quatrefoils in the spandrels, perpendicular tracery in windows to side walls, bargeboards and gargoyles; south door also of 1886 in Decorated style. Interior. No internal division between nave and chancel, highly cusped Queen-post roof to whole, low round arch (recessed) to tower approached down steps; sanctuary, up one step, has communion rails with turned baluster shafts and hinged gate, panelled reredos probably also of 1834; stained glass in east wall 1834, roundels in heads of lights above Netherlandish C16-17; north chapel separated from the body of the church by a C15 screen, a survival from, the medieval church, crest with Tudor flowers, intertwining leaves and grapes to cornice above open groining with square leaf bosses; diminutive rounded battlements to the capitals on the arches supporting the upper part, the bottom is late C19 (1886?), open tracery with trefoiled heads; north chapel roof is wooden panelled. The font is of 1887 and is a copy of that designed by Wren for St. Bride's, Fleet Street, pulpit and reading desk also late C19; a list of benefactors to the church (1752- 1852) hangs over the south door, 2 late C19 boards on east wall, one with the Lord's Prayer, the other with the Apostles' Creed and Ten Commandments; the painting over the Communion Table is an Ecce Homo after Titian and'at the west end is a C19 copy of the Annunciation. Monuments. In the north chapel (north wall) Isaac Hawkins Browne (died 1818), by Chantrey, iirge seated figure in profile; stele-shaped monument by Flaxman to Browne's mother(died1802) ( shown standing with a genius appearing in a cloud above) also commemorates his wife, Henrietta; Harriet Pigot (died 1852), stele-shaped wall monument, an angel taking her up, by John Gibson; on north wall of nave, Harriet Cheney (died 1848) also by Gibson, she is seated, a standing angel holding her arm; tablet to Elizabeth Kynnersley (died 1649) with contemporary wooden heraldic crest above. Cranage III, pp.173-4; Pevsner B.O.E. pp.67-8.

Listing NGR: SO7681599616

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 173-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 67-8

National Grid Reference: SO 76815 99616

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053665 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 08:03:02.

End of official listing