Wall forming part of former Franciscan Priory, central basement of Carpet factory

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1053711
Date first listed:
07-May-1986
Statutory Address:
Wall forming part of former Franciscan Priory, central basement of Carpet factory, Friars Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wall forming part of former Franciscan Priory, central basement of Carpet factory
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 03:28:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Wall forming part of former Franciscan Priory, central basement of Carpet factory, Friars Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bridgnorth
National Grid Reference:
SO7187193331

Details

SO 719933 SO 7193 2/280

BRIDGNORTH Riverside FRIARS STREET Wall forming part of former Franciscan Priory, central basement of Carpet factory.

II Wall, medieval with later alterations. Red sandstone. Extends circa 18 metres north-south returning west for circa1 metre at north end before disappearing into C19 structure. Battered plinth to north face; circa 2.5 metres high overall.

Probably part of east claustral range of Friary founded c1244. See (Clarke-Maxwell, 1928)

Listing NGR: SO7187193331

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255062
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clarke-Maxwell, WG, 'Greyfriars of Bridgenorth' in Transactions of the Shropshire Archaelogical Society, , Vol. Fourth Series, Vol 11, (1928), 47-64

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/12831/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cousens. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].