This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1053833



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Middleton Scriven

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Feb-1974

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 254740

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




II Parish church of 1845-46 with contemporary glass by David Evans and William Wailes.

MATERIALS: Coursed grey sandstone with freestone dressings, and tile roofs.

PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south porch and west bellcote.

EXTERIOR: A simple Early-English style parish church with three lancets in the nave south and north walls and large lancet with hood mould in the west wall, which has clasping buttresses. The south doorway, and a blocked or blind north doorway, both have continuous chamfer. The south door is studded and has strap hinges. The porch has prominent barge boards with blind quatrefoils. The gabled bellcote has two bells in lancet openings. Chancel windows are cusped and have hood moulds with head stops: single-light windows are in the south and north walls, and the two-light east window has Y-tracery.

INTERIOR: The nave has a four-bay, the chancel a two-bay, collar-beam roof with small arched braces. The narrow chancel arch has an outer continuous chamfer and inner order on round responds with moulded capitals. Walls are plastered, but the nave is ashlar below a string course. Nave and chancel have red and black floor tiles, where visible under the carpet, and sanctuary tiles incorporate Agnus Dei and Evangelists in lozenges.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The font is elaborate imitation Norman. The base has chevron and cable mouldings, the round stem twisted roll mouldings below another cable moulding, and four main figurative scenes in semi-circular frames surround the basin. The pulpit is Elizabethan in style, polygonal with Tudor-Gothic panelling. Pews of 1847 have plain ends with moulded edges. The choir stalls have plain ends with finials. The arcaded wooden communion rail is probably also 1847. Chancel windows are by David Evans, of patterns with foliage and including in the east window scenes of Christ carrying the cross and the Ascension. The strikingly colourful west window, by William Wailes, dated 1845, shows St John the Baptist. Three other nave windows have pale colours, and are attributed to Burlison & Grylls: Dorcas and Good Shepherd (both post 1918) and Christ blessing children (post 1930).

HISTORY: Built in 1845-46 at the expense of Dr Thomas Rowley, headmaster of Bridgnorth Grammar School.

SOURCES: Newman, J., and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Shropshire (2006), 403-4.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St John the Baptist, Middleton Scriven, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a well-preserved mid C19 Gothic-revival church that has been altered little since that time. * It contains fixtures and fittings of interest, including good-quality glass by William Wailes and an elaborate Norman-style font.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 68112 87542


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053833 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 02:42:29.

End of official listing