CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1054010
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054010 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 20:31:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
East Farndon
National Grid Reference:
SP 71639 84757

Details

EAST FARNDON SP78SW 3/29 Church of St. John Baptist 02/11/54

- I

Church. C13 and C14. Squared coursed lias and limestone with lead roofs. Nave and chancel with south aisle and west tower. Chancel has aisle attached to south and vestry to north. One 3.-light window to north has 4-centred head. 3-light east window has Perpendicular tracery. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar parapets. South aisle of 3-window range of 3-light windows. Those to left have 4-centred heads with cusped tracery. That to right is probably Cl9. Decorated south door between windows to left. 3-light west window has 4-centred head. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Nave south elevation has 3-window range of 3-light, square-headed windows. North elevation has 3-window range of 3-light, square-headed windows. North elevation of nave has two 2-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred heads. Gabled north porch between windows has castellated parapet. Shallow pitch nave roof has ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower: ashlar, of 5 stages, the upper stage is subdivided; 3-light west window in second stage has geometrical tracery. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of fifth stage. Castellated parapet with short pinnacles at corners. Interior: Chancel has double chamfered arch to south aisle chapel with fleuron decoration to the capitals. Simple arch from south aisle to chapel. Decorated double chamfered chancel arch. Nave of 3-bay arcade to south aisle, of double chamfered arches being continuous with the piers and forming a slender chamfered projection to the nave and aisle. C19 nave and chancel roofs of shallow pitch with chamfered tie beams and painted panels. Stained glass east window. Monuments: Brass plate to left of altar commemorates Danial Holford, Rector died 1622. 3 brass plates to north wall of chancel dating from 1702 to 1790 commemorate members of the Saunders family; the earliest has a moulded stone surround with scrolls and urn. Slate slab to south aisle wall commemorates family tree of Lee family from 1693 to 1804. Four other C19 white marble tablets on south aisle wall. Plain stone tablet in belfry commemorates John and Ann Levitt died 1780 and 1738. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.197).

Listing NGR: SP7163984757

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360282
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 197

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15310/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].