CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1054045
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1965
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 11:18:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Bolsover (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Bolsover
National Grid Reference:
SK 47442 70306

Details

SK 4771 TOWN OF OLD BOLSOVER HIGH STREET 16/68 (North side) 5.7.65 Church of St Mary & St Lawrence (formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish church. C13, C14, 1624, 1897 by L.Ambler, restored after a fire 1961-2. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Moulded coped gables with plain kneelers and moulded coped parapets. Moulded plinth. West steeple, aisled nave with south chapel, chancel and north vestry. West tower of two stages divided by a string course. Square staircase projection to south west. Double chamfered west doorway with one order of colonettes. Single chamfered lancet above. The lower stage of the tower is blind to north and south. Two-light bell-openings of a pair of plain lancets under a single hoodmould. Stone broach spire with two tiers of lucarnes, each a single louvred lancet, the upper ones gabletted. Gabled north aisle has a C19 3-light west window with cusped intersecting tracery and hoodmould on headstops. Gabled north porch with gabletted buttresses and moulded doorway with hoodmould. Rectangular windows with cusped ogee lights on either side. North aisle of three bays divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Three 3-light C19 windows have cusped tracery with an encircled trefoil, each with hoodmould. To the left a slightly projecting gabled transeptal bay with similar 3-light window. Hoodmould with headstops. To the left again is the vestry, built in 1961-2 by Taylor, Young & Partners. Octagonal two-storey block like a chapter house. Mullioned windows and cross windows. The north side of the chancel has a two-light C19 window with cusping and trefoils. Five-light east window with Geometrical tracery. The south side of the chancel has a single buttress flanked by 2-light windows with cusping and trefoils as on the north side. Between them is a flat- arched doorway with a round-arched tympanum above which has a moulded arch and a sculptured Crucifixion. To the left is a restored round-arched lancet. Rectangular, projecting Cavendish chapel built in 1624. Castellated parapet and string course above the second tier of windows. The ground floor has a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with returned hoodmould. A single light and a 3- light recessed and chamfered mullion window above. Blind elevation to south with parapet inscribed CAVENDO VTVS. Square sundial below. Gabled south aisle of three bays divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Three 3-light windows with C19 Geometrical tracery. Hoodmould with foliage stops. Large 3-light west window with cusped intersecting tracery. Interior. Four bay arcades, the fourth bay on the south side blocked when the Cavendish chapel was added. Octagonal piers, moulded octagonal capitals and moulded arches. Moulded chancel arch with filletted responds and capitals with naturalistic foliage continued as a band. Double-chamfered arches on semi-octagonal responds between north transept, chancel and north aisle. Keyed round arch from the south aisle into the Cavendish chapel. The chapel has a Jacobean style roof, and houses two large monuments. Standing wall monument against the south wall, to Charles Cavendish t 1617. Pair of recumbent effigies and kneeling children in the 'predella'. Coffered arch and rich strapwork cartouche. Marble monument of reredos type, to Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, his wife and one of his daughters. Erected in 1727. Big black sarcophagus between large coupled Corinthian columns supporting a pediment, on which lie two allegorical figures. It was designed by Gibbs and sculpted by Francis Bird. On the east wall is a stone C19 monument in Perp style, with three canopies and inset brass inscription panels to three members of the Cavendish Bentinck family t 1858, t 1877 and t 1893. At the east end of the south aisle is an inscribed tomb slab to Huntingdon Smithson t1648 and John Smithson t1716. The painted roofs are all of the'l96Os, the nave with 4-light mullioned clerestory windows. The north transept baptistry has a richly decorated C19 octagonal font with painted cover. Sculpture set on a modern base; a late C13 relief of the Nativity. Grave cover with axe, shears, sickle and ring. Painted stone reredos. Some re-used C19 furnishings, including a brass eagle lectern. In the blocked south aisle bay are six re-set corbels. In the north porch are remains of two foliated grave covers.

Listing NGR: SK4744270306

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79238
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13471/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].