This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHATSWORTH ESTATE OFFICE AND VILLAGE INSTITUTE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHATSWORTH ESTATE OFFICE AND VILLAGE INSTITUTE

List entry Number: 1054089

Location

CHATSWORTH ESTATE OFFICE AND VILLAGE INSTITUTE, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Edensor

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81699

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF EDENSOR MAIN ROAD SK 24/2569-24/2570 7/131 (North Side) 12.7.67 Chatsworth Estate Office and Village Institute

II*

Hotel, now estate office and Village Institute. c1776-7, attributed to Joseph Pickford. Enlarged 1912, probably by Romaine-Walker. Red brick and render. Stone dressings. Hipped and gabled Welsh slate roofs. Paired brick lateral stacks. Stone plinth, plain first floor sill band, dentil cornice and moulded cornice. One, two and three storeys. South elevation has 1912 wing to left and symmetrical C18 part of 1-3-1 bays. The outer bays advanced and pedimented, the centre part with an attic storey. Large central ashlar porch on paired Tuscan Doric columns with paired pilasters behind. Round-arched doorway with stone reindeer heads in the spandrels and above. Paired half-glazed doors and traceried fanlight. Flanked by glazing bar sashes under wedge brick lintels. Three similar windows above and three similar but smaller windows above again. Lower pedimented wings have broad Venetian windows with moulded ashlar heads and stepped keyblocks to the central lights, and glazing bar sashes above, of three over three panes. Projecting pavilion to left, rendered, with a parapet with, plain band and moulded coping. Central round-arched doorway with stepped keyblock. Flanked by stepped pilasters and balustraded parapet above. Flanked in turn by plain oculi. To the right a rainwater head dated 1912. Interior: Staircase through two storeys. Open string with carved tread ends and two turned balusters per tread. Built to serve the needs of wealthy travellers and sightseers along the Fourth Duke of Devonshire's new north-south road through the Park.

Listing NGR: SK2501370208

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 25013 70208

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 08:14:13.

End of official listing