THE BIG HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054195
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
THE BIG HOUSE, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BIG HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054195 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 03:27:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BIG HOUSE, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whittington
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32783 30967

Details

WHITTINGTON C.P. STATION ROAD (south side) SJ 33 SW 5/139 The Big House 19.1.52 II Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1631 with later additions and alterations, restored and extended 1924. Timber framed with rendered infill and planted timber frame in imitation; slate roofs with lozenge-shaped patterns to hall range and cross-wing. Hall range of 2 framed bays with gabled cross-wing projecting to left; full-height gabled range (1924) projecting to right forming present H-plan. One storey and attic. Framing: close-set vertical posts with middle rail to cross-wing, which is jettied to first floor and attic with carved corner brackets. Similar framing to porch and gabled full dormer to right of hall range, latter with billet moulding to bressumer. Gable of porch has king strut and herringbone braces; planted cusped lozenges to gables of cross-wing and dormer, which like porch, have C20 pointed finials. Ground floor of hall range is rendered. C20 latticed casements throughout, one of 3 lights on each floor to cross-wing with small 2-light flanking mullion windows to ground floor; one of 2 lights to first floor of porch and one of 3 lights to dormer with segmental-headed 3-light window below. Porch has inner nail-studded plank door with pointed strap hinges. Red brick ridge stack directly above with dentilled capping and similar integral end stack to left. Initials and date "ILL 1631" in raised lettering to bressumer of dormer and repeated in C20 lettering to tie beam of cross-wing. Gabled timber framed dormer in roof slope to rear on right. Planted timber frame 2-storey gabled addition to right has 4-light latticed casement on each floor and contem- porary red brick ridge stack. Initials and date "HI 1924" in raised lettering to tie beam. Interior. Much altered in C20 but hall range has 2 chamfered spine beams with flat heavy joists in room to right of massive stack, which has richly moulded overmantel to infilled inglenook fireplace. Short jowled wall posts apparently supporting ceiling and said not to continue through to first floor. Chamfered ceiling beams and flat heavy joists to cross- wing. Inspection of first floor not possible at time of resurvey (June 1986).

Listing NGR: SJ3278330967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255855
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01904/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Garton - Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].