QUINTA CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054208

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: QUINTA CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, BONYGARTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUINTA CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 22:03:13.

Location

Statutory Address: QUINTA CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, BONYGARTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Weston Rhyn

National Grid Reference: SJ 28096 35968

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON RHYN C.P. BRONYGARTH ROAD (north SJ 23 NE side) 1/98 Quinta Congregational Church II Shown on O.S. map as Quinta Chapel. Congregational Church. 1858 for Thomas Barnes with later additions and alterations. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar; banded slate roofs with coped verges and ornamental cresting. Nave; chancel; south-west steeple and south porch: north aisle and vestry. Decorated style. Nave: buttressed in 6 bays has 2-light windows with mouchettes to 3 eastern bays on south. Third bay from west occupied by wide gabled porch with ornamental wrought- iron gates to pointed outer doorway. Decorated-style window to left. West window of 3 cusped lights with mouchettes above; pointed doorway to right. South-west steeple: flush with nave in 4 stages plus belfry and spine,has cusped lancet to second stage on west. Open octagonal belfry has square-headed openings with cusped tracery to top surmounted by stone spire with weathervane. Lean-to north aisle: buttressed in 5 bays with windows similar to nave and prominent gabled eaves dormer to east bay. 2-light window with Y-tracery over lean-to building linking aisle with vestry. This is dated 1893: square plan with hipped roof and plain corbel table. Short one-bay chancel: roundel with mouchettes to east wall and broad cusped lancets on north and south. Decorated iron crosses to west gable of nave and to porch and probably formerly to east gables of nave and chancel. Interior. Arch-braced roof in 6 bays to nave. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch. Pews, font and other fittings of 1928. Monument. Tablet dated 1908 to Thomas Barnes, founder and builder of church in 1858. Kelly's Directory of Shropshire (1900) p.277.

Listing NGR: SJ2809635968

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255812

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Cambridgeshire, (1900), 277

End of official listing