Halston Hall including attached flanking walls and balustrade to rear
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- Halston Hall, Ellesmere Road
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054216 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 07:41:28.
- Statutory Address:
- Halston Hall, Ellesmere Road
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 33926 31653
WHITTINGTON CP ELLESMERE ROAD (south side) Halston Hall including attached flanking walls and balustrade to rear (formerly listed as Halston Hall)
GVI Country house. Circa 1690 with alterations by Robert Mylne for John Mytton 1766-68; further early to mid C19 additions and alterations. Red brick with chamfered stone angle quoins and moulded plinth; double-span slate roof with coped verges and eaves parapet with ball finials to corners, including to those of central block.
Two storeys and attic with continuous stone floor band and moulded modillioned eaves cornice with elaborately carved brackets carried up around central pediment; cellars. 2:5:2 bays, centre section forming pedimented break with roundel in moulded stone surround to centre of pediment; glazing bar sashes (15-paned to ground floor) with gauged heads and plain moulded stone cills, including to 'dummy' window to lower right of pedimented section. Segmental shaped dormers with glazing bar sashes in bottom of roof slope, probably late C18 or C19, one to each side of pediment and two to flanking wings.
Central entrance; probably early C18 porch with alternating bands of rustication, grooved lintel with projecting keystone, segmental wooden pediment with cartouche and eight-paned glazing bar sashes to sides, approached by flight of four steps. Moulded wooden door surround has six-panel door with wreathed and radiating lead fanlight set in larger rectangular overlight. Lead downpipes in angles between pediment and flanking ranges. Red brick ridge stacks immediately in front of ridge to left and right of pediment have three attached and rebated shafts with moulded stone capping; similar stacks immediately in front of ridge to rear and valley stack to centre. Integral end stacks with seven attached and rebated shafts with moulded stone capping over recessed blind round-headed arch, which carries the flues to either side. Original arrangement to left gable end partly obscured by later addition but right gable end has lunette window to attic over two sash windows with gauged heads to first floor.
Flanking screen walls to left and right said to be c.1850. Red brick with stone dressings. Semi-circular with eleven blind round-headed arches divided by plain pilasters supporting moulded entablature; single-bay projections to ends and buttressed to rear.
Garden front: two storeys and attic with same details as entrance front. 2:1:3:1:2 bays, outer bays projecting and centre section forming slightly projecting break. Glazing bar sashes (eight-paned to ground floor) with gauged heads. Eaves parapet rebuilt to original design in 1985. Balustrade in space between projecting wings, approached by flight of six steps to centre has rather stumpy turned balusters. Lower five bay service range slightly set back to right has glazing bar sashes with gauged heads on each floor.
Entrance through mid C19 stone porch to left with round-headed outer arch and plain entablature over contemporary half-glazed inner door with blind semi-circular fanlight. Double-span slate roof with tall integral end stack to right and similar stack roughly to centre of rear ridge.
Lower rectangular range slightly projecting to right is also early C19 and has low-pitched hipped slate roof, partly concealed by coped parapet. Three glazing bar sashes with gauged heads to right wall and integral stack with wooden octagonal louvred lantern behind to left corner.
Interior: entrance hall has stone-flagged floor and raised and fielded panelling to walls. Stone fireplace with fluted consoles. Plaster ceiling with Gothic bosses and leaf decoration to cornice looks Victorian. Double panelled doors in pilastered doorcase to back wall leads to saloon. This is by Mylne with shallow bows at each end and a fine door surround. Ornamental raised and fielded panelling with delicate frieze and cornice. Pedimented glass-fronted wall cupboard to left wall and Adam-style marble fireplaces in the centre of each bow. Concealed door to room to left. Room to right of entrance hall is panelled and has built-in wall cupboard with round-headed arch and fluted pilasters. Marble fireplace with late C18 cast-iron hour-glass grate. Room to left of saloon has complete raised and fielded panelling with cornice and C18 moulded marble fireplace.
Open-well staircase behind room to right of entrance hall has sturdy turned balusters, plain newel posts and closed string: said to have been brought from a house in Herefordshire. Gothic-style plaster ribbed ceiling above looks Victorian. Several first floor rooms have raised and fielded panelling with moulded wooden cornices. Moulded wooden fireplaces, some with late C18 cast-iron grates, including several of hour-glass type. Panelled doors throughout.
Attic rooms, formerly servants' quarters, have rooms with cast-iron Victorian grates and sets of bells in corridor. One room has reused square oak panelling including to roof slope; several inset panelled wall cupboards with H-hinges.
Listing NGR: SJ3392631653
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 576
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891), 386-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 136-7
Christopher Gotch, , 'Mylne and Adam' in Architectural Review, (February 1956), 122
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing