FORMER LOCK KEEPER'S COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF NEW MARTON BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054230

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER LOCK KEEPER'S COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF NEW MARTON BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER LOCK KEEPER'S COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF NEW MARTON BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054230 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 20:51:50.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER LOCK KEEPER'S COTTAGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH OF NEW MARTON BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Selattyn and Gobowen

National Grid Reference: SJ 32870 34765

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SELATTYN AND GOBOWEN C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 33 SW (west side) 5/48 Former lock-keeper's cottage approx. l00m south of New Marton Bridge II Lock-keeper's cottage, now house. Circa 1801 with later additions and alterations on William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Painted brick; hipped slate roof. Square plan. 2 storeys. 2-window front with plain pilaster strips to angles and centre; C19 casements,directly below eaves to first floor and with segmental heads to ground floor, right infilled and with mid-C20 casement inserted. Entrance through gabled porch with boarded door to left wall; central red brick ridge stack with moulded capping. This section of the former Ellesmere Canal was completed c.1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the Chester Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. New Marton Bridge is not included in this list. Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midlands (3rd edn. 1985) p.173.

Listing NGR: SJ3287034765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255761

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 173

End of official listing