This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE FIRS AND WESTON MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FIRS AND WESTON MILL

List entry Number: 1054241

Location

THE FIRS AND WESTON MILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Oswestry Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255693

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 22 NE OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. WESTON

5/215 The Firs and - Weston Mill

- II

Mill and attached mill house. Mid-C19 on earlier site. Roughly coursed local grey limestone blocks with yellow brick dressings; slate roofs with deep eaves and verges. Mill is of 4 storeys and rectangular plan with pedimented gable ends to east and west, east with boarded doors on each floor, flanked by windows at ground-floor level and with bracketed weatherboarded hoist projection to top, west with circular window to apex. North wall has 4 segmental-headed windows on each floor; mullioned and transomed casements, some retaining leaded lights; similar paired windows to centre of south wall on second and third floors, lower left blind. South wall also has outline of demolished lower gabled structure visible to right. Massive iron undershot wheel (still in working order) is housed under segmental arch to rear of adjoining mill house (The Firs) to west. This house is of 2 storeys and 4 bays to front (north), late C20 windows with original yellow brick cambered arches; C20 door with rectangular overlight in C19 pilastered doorcase in third bay from left; yellow brick ridge stack to left and end stack to right; lower range to right. C20 casements to rear (south) wall. INTERIOR of mill has oak winder stair rising to fourth floor in north-east corner; against the west wall on the ground floor is the pitwheel which meshes with a pinion on a horizontal shaft running a little above floor level, parallel to the south wall of the mill, the shaft being mounted within an iron hurst frame, the lower part of which is cased in timber, the cast-iron hurst columns rising to cast-iron stone pans on the floor above. The first floor has 4 pairs of French burr millstones, one runner marked "Davies & Snead, 19 & 21 Cheapside, Liverpool" and two others "Cotton & Davies, Cheapside, Liverpool". All the stone furniture is missing but the upright shaft rises to a bevel gear and then continues to the floor above, the bevel gear meshing with a pinion on a layshaft running north-south across the mill carrying pulleys. The upright shaft continues through the second floor, which has no other machinery, to the third floor terminating above a bevel crown wheel which meshes with a bevel gear on a layshaft running east to west. The fourth floor has 2 hoist drums, one made of timber, the other of iron driven from a vertical shaft; towards the western end of this floor is a smutter with a vertical spindle, complete with case and fan; king-post roof structure.

The mill pond fed by a leat is situated immediately to the south of the mill house and a well-preserved sluice controls the water flow into the penstock and thence to the wheel. Remains of walls to the south of the mill may be fragments of an earlier mill, the present building being erected after 1841 to replace a woolen mill destroyed by fire. The present mill originally produced corn and cotton but switched to flour in late C19; it ceased working during the 1930s.

N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire (1958), p.225; information from SPAB Mills Section.



Listing NGR: SJ2965127570

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 225

National Grid Reference: SJ 29651 27570

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054241 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 01:18:17.

End of official listing